Retro Action-Adenture - Genesis Quest

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
franzjoy
Prole

Retro Action-Adenture - Genesis Quest

Post by franzjoy »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a (commercial) 'zedla-ish' game.
Your mission is to re-create a lost, ancient world, where most life has been drained by a mysterious force, which captured all the souls to create monsters.
You collect orbs (souls) from monsters, which can be used to increase your stats, create better weapons, or (like you're supposed to) transform deserted parts of the world into their forgotten lively form. (like a village, a forest, etc.)

Take a look at https://youtu.be/w-869hzabjc

The game will be released on PC, OSX, Linux and Nintendo Switch. Hopefully around summer 2019.
The non-console version will - very likely - allow modding and building maps with Tiled.

So far, Löve2D has been great, especially because Lua allows functional-style programming.

FYI, porting Löve2D to Switch is fairly easy if you're confident with C/C++.
I can't tell much because of NDA, but one tip: stick to EGL from the beginning - it'll make life easier then
ivan
Party member

Re: Retro Action-Adenture - Genesis Quest

Post by ivan »

Hello.
It looks good, but it's waaay too similar to Zelda.
IMO, you need to put your own spin on the gameplay especially if you plan on selling it.
People don't like "clones" but if you draw inspiration from multiple games of that genre you can make it work.
A good example is River City Ransom and Shovel Knight, those games go above and beyond of most average clones.
Nelvin
Party member

Post by Nelvin »

Looks pretty good already. With regards to the similarity to Zelda, might be an issue for users who played the original Zelda games but there's still a much bigger group of users who never did so.
F.i. even though I started back when the VCS 2600 was still popular I never was a console user and so, even after almost 4 decades of gaming, I never really played any Zelda (yeah, shame on me :)).
hbkrajan
Prole

Post by hbkrajan »

Looks good, Only for PC !
Is this game is available for old retro 8 bit consoles.