microCrawler, a tamagotchi-like game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
meoiswa
Prole

microCrawler, a tamagotchi-like game

Post by meoiswa »

I'm making a game remotely based on this idea:
http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=22

This is a tamagotchi-like game, where you have your own hero and he goes on dungeon-crawling in randomly-generated dungeons.
The game play will be very simple, you have 3 buttons, "A":attack, force your way in, "D":defend, go on carefully, avoiding damage, and "R":retreat, get out of the dungeon!.
This commands don't affect your character directly but only suggest him what to do.
Your hero will crawl the linear dungeons, fighting monsters, and looting items, he will decide by himself what to use and what to sell/drop.
So far, the random generation is working (It works by changing the seed, and right now it's hard-coded), the fighting is on its bare bones and there's no inventory system yet.

Try it out, feel free to colaborate (most files have a versioning header, if not, copy it from another, Leave your signature there!)
I'll make a github repo soon.

Issues:
Obvious ones:
1) Game crashes if someone leaves it running for the +5.2 hours needed to reach the end of the dungeon
2) Game lacks most if not all the images
3) Monsters don't fight back

Not-so-obvious ones:
1) Most formulas suck

Also, anyone up for drawing some 32x32 characters (heroes and enemies) and 128x64 rooms?

Many thanks to kikito for his MiddleClass lib! :ultraglee:

Edited: Oops! Forgot to add the attachment!
microCrawler.love
;D
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Edited x2: Oh! also, the game is supposed to run in a 256x64 window, but right now its on the default settings for reading error messages and having plenty of space for the debug messages (I dislike working by printing on the console when I have plenty of things to watch at the same time)
Last edited by meoiswa on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Write the ö of Löve with Alt+numPad(148) or Alt+numPad(153)
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: microCrawler, a tamagotchi-like game

Post by bartbes »

Forgot the attachment?
meoiswa
Prole

Post by meoiswa »

bartbes wrote:Forgot the attachment?
Pretty much :b boss called me to discuss something and in the rush I clicked Submit without adding the loves
trubblegum
Party member

Post by trubblegum »

I like this, but I would like it to move maybe 5-10 times faster.
meoiswa
Prole

Post by meoiswa »

Those are the kinds of things that I need to figure out, what's an appropiate player speed, whats a good attack formula, etc.
I haven't put any work on this since I made this post and that makes me feel terribad :cry: , been too busy with work :(
As you may have noticed if you inspected the code, the level is generated for a character level 5 but the character itself is level 1, his DEXterity and INTelligence are too low to navigate the goo/sand/glue pits and "gravity" halls swiftly.
Also the gravity halls don't have any code in them, they just slow down the player to a third of his speed.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

I will be more that happy to help. Tell me what you need. ;)
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
nkorth
Prole

Post by nkorth »

I tried implementing this concept in Javascript/Canvas a while ago, but didn't get very far at all. I did rip a few useful graphics from the Three Hundred Mechanics sample images (and the author said they were OK to use), so here they are if you want to use them. Most of the good stuff is in spritesheet.png, but there's also a 5x5 font I made myself and a custom parallax background based on the example attract screen.

My idea of what the game should be like was more towards the "RPG aquarium" of Tiny Crawl World and Tiny Universe. I personally think this would make a better game overall; you should definitely read those two concepts and consider that approach. A full-control game could work, though.

Also, I agree that the game ought to be much faster. It'd be cool if there was a speed multiplier that went into every calculation so you could have a "fast-forward" button or something.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

nkorth wrote:It'd be cool if there was a speed multiplier that went into every calculation so you could have a "fast-forward" button or something.
It's called dt ;).
nkorth
Prole

Post by nkorth »

bartbes wrote:
nkorth wrote:It'd be cool if there was a speed multiplier that went into every calculation so you could have a "fast-forward" button or something.
It's called dt ;).
of course, but I had actually never thought about changing dt. d'oh!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

If you simply place something like dt = dt * 2 or dt = dt / 2 etc at the beginning of the love.update() function you can indeed control the speed most of the time. As long as everything you use is dependent on dt. I thought Box2D didn't use dt itself though. So I don't know how well it would work there.