You are incredibly frail, but have one advantage: you can possess the bodies of the monsters you encounter, and use their strength and abilities as your own. Hop from body to body as you attempt to make it back to the surface.
- Dozens of possessable monsters, from the horrifying to the hilarious, with a wide variety of powers.
- Special themed levels with unique hazards, creatures and layouts. Level creation is more varied than in most roguelikes.
- Item-less gameplay. The dead have no need for worldly possessions, they just slow you down.
- Quick to pick up and play.
- Entirely playable with just the keyboard, just the mouse, or a combination of the two.
- Mod support! Add your own creatures, powers and special levels, or change the ones already there. There's even already a mod available called The Sunken City, though it's mainly intended as an example for others.
- Choice between ASCII or Graphical mode.
Source code for the engine is available on GitHub and licensed under the MIT license. It won't run; it only has the engine, no content. It's mainly intended to be a reference for modders.
A version of the engine by the name Roguelove is also available, so called because it's a roguelike engine designed to be used with LÖVE! This version of the engine is the recommended one for people who are interested in using the code for their own games, as it will be updated more features than are used in Possession (such as items), and is again offered under the MIT license.