Tiny Places

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Varkas
Citizen

Tiny Places

Post by Varkas »

Tiny Places is meant to become a collaborative map editor and RPG system. The client side will be implemented in Love2D and the server side will be Java. So far, there is a very primitive map editor and a minimal server to broadcast changes made to the map to other connected clients.
tiny_places-001.jpg
tiny_places-001.jpg (357.84 KiB) Viewed 26900 times
The plan is to have this open source, if possible CC-By-SA 4.0, must check if that is possible for code as well as the assets. I have created quite some isometric game assets over the past years, and it would be a pity to have them sit unused.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
lazershark3k
Prole

Re: Tiny Places

Post by lazershark3k »

Looks sick!
*pew pew*
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Thanks! Coding is going well, the client-server connection works nicely, but it still takes time. Since the last screenshot the map has gotten several layers and the server can now save map data and send them to the clients again after a client restart. A good amount of work is also to import all the graphics, adjust and adapt them ...
tiny_places-002.jpg
tiny_places-002.jpg (356.58 KiB) Viewed 26738 times
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

I think someone should make a diablo like game
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

I totally would if I could. I'll be happy though once there is some pathfinding and mobs can actually move over the map. I think I have an idea that doesn't need to transfer many KB path data. Must see if it work.

But meanwhile I did something easier, completed the basic work for the "cloud" layer. That is intended to be used for fogs, magic stuff and light effects. Thanks to Love2D using OpenGL, blending images is fairly efficient. But well, the maps segments displayed are tiny for a reason ...
tiny_places-002_fog.jpg
tiny_places-002_fog.jpg (653.39 KiB) Viewed 26622 times
I need to find out how to make cyclic fog or smoke animations.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

One can now set color/tint and transparency for all map objetcs. The color selector might get border like the buttons too, but it was hard enough to make it work.
tiny_places-002_colors.jpg
tiny_places-002_colors.jpg (662.1 KiB) Viewed 26445 times
I think the next step will be to add moving objects. Still a bit uncertain how to split the client and server parts of this. I don't want too much CPU load and network traffic on the server.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

The "moving objects" code had to wait. I felt a need to make better trees and at least add some very generic shadows.
tiny_places-002-trees_n_shadows.jpg
tiny_places-002-trees_n_shadows.jpg (461.82 KiB) Viewed 26304 times
Adding images is not really taking that much time but entering the data for the game engine to actualy use the images properly is a tedious task. Still got 20 more trees to import ...
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Besides a number of bugfixes, there is now a "game mode" which allows a map to be played. At the moment there isn't much functionality there yet, but the server can broadcast move commands for player avatars and the clients can move them.

So, let's bounce!

https://youtu.be/yNOE9D9gxwk

lazershark3k
Prole

Post by lazershark3k »

Nifty!
*pew pew*
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Thanks. I'm bad at making animated creatures, so I have to find workarounds. Doin' doin' doin' ...