Fledgling (LD46)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
IMP1
Prole

Fledgling (LD46)

Post by IMP1 »

Fledgling

Fledgling (or Fledgeling, as I kept spelling it for some reason!) is a very short game I made for the Ludum Dare 46 jam. It was made across three days, and I tried to take it pretty easy (no late nights or early mornings & regular breaks).

You play as a mother owl catching rats and returning their fresh corpses to your owlet to munch through until it can grow big enough to fly away and repeat the cycle with its own owlets one day!

Download

It's hosted at Itch.io, and you can get the .love file there.

Controls

You can use WASD or the arrow keys to fly around. Space to swoop down and catch the rats. R to roost at the nest.

Rats will run away if they hear you and they can hide behind rocks and logs. If they do you can fly away and wait a bit and they'll come out eventually.

It was a lot of fun doing the jam. There was a period of despair, thinking that the game wasn't fun and never would be, but I got through it, and am quite happy with what I got done. It was a really good opportunity to be forced to finish a game! I ended up cutting loads of stuff and just finishing anything at all, no matter how small in scope, was a real learning experience.

Please let me know what you think, both good and bad.
randomnovice
Party member

Re: Fledgling (LD46)

Post by randomnovice »

Well done, it's lots of fun!

I liked the game mechanics - especially the way the owl swooped and the rats ran away. The chosen music gives it quite a sombre feel? I guess it is a night-time game with life and death at stake though! I would have liked some sort of progress bar and perhaps for the winning conditions to finish on a feed, rather than just a timer? Say 10 or 20 successful feeds?