DoodleBox (Code doodle IDE/framework made in löve)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

DoodleBox (Code doodle IDE/framework made in löve)

Post by veethree »

Hi! I made something that i think is kinda cool. I don't really know what to call it, Maybe a mini IDE.

It's a tool that lets you write and run lua/löve code in the same window. As the name suggests it's mainly intended for code doodle type projects.

It's composed of 2 parts, A console and a code editor. The console is mainly for file management, And i'm sure you can figure out what the code editor is for.

For the doodles made with DoodleBox, You can write almost regular löve code. There's just a few differences. The callback functions have different names, love.load() is setup(), love.update/draw are the same minus the love., love.keypressed()/keyreleased() are keypress()/keyrelease() etc. The main point of this is to make the code as short as possible. Speaking of making the code as short as possible, DoodleBox has it's own API on top of löve. It's purpose main is also to make the code shorter. The API is explained in the wiki on github.

Here's what the thing looks like:
con.png
con.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
edi.png
edi.png (7.8 KiB) Viewed 10142 times

Here's where you can get it. (github)

It's not quite finished, But i'd say its usable at this point. It has a few problems here and there, Syntax highlighting sometimes messes up, No copy & paste functionality, Though you can duplicate lines and move them around, But the core functionality is there.