Ice Slider - Released

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sphyrth
Party member

Ice Slider - Released

Post by sphyrth »

https://sphyrth.itch.io/ice-slider

Added mouse functions, but only for the menu.
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Ice Slider - Released

Post by sphyrth »

Two Updates:
1. More Board Set-ups
2. Smarter AI (Be warned: Although the algorithm is rough and clunky, I found that playing against its Try-Not-to-Lose playstyle frustrating... to the point that it made me blunder several times).
I can't play against 3 AI super casually now.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (22.21 KiB) Viewed 6915 times
Konjac1234
Prole

Post by Konjac1234 »

Congratulations on finishing and releasing this game. I had the chance to play it a bit. Very interesting game!

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you. I just recently started programming in Lua and using the LOVE engine and I downloaded your game to look at the code since I've read that reading other peoples' code is a great way to learn how to code better. I will admit, reading your code is a tad bit overwhelming lol but this is due to my current programming knowledge and skills. Reading it is quite enlightening and it shows me that I still got a long road ahead of me before I can get anywhere near as good as you. Anyway, my questions....

1. How long it took you to make this game?

2. Being that your code is quite big and complex, with functions calling other functions and other whatnots, yet still working smoothly like a well-oiled machine, how were you able to create such a code? (A bit of a broad question so you're free to answer it in any way you want to)

Thanks
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Thanks! What you saw was a product of experience; Tutorials, coding struggles, getting as much info from these forums and wiki, etc.

1. How Long it took Me to Make the Game
I believe I started around June, so that makes it about 3-4 months (life struggles included).

2. How Did My Code Become So Complex Yet it Looks Efficient
This will throw a monkey wrench to my answer in #1, so here it goes:

My "lib" folder is a bunch of my personal libraries that came out when I was making a lot of prototype games. A lot of those code are the "I know I'm going to use them again for future projects, so I might as well store them." - That set of libraries is what I consider "My Personal Game Engine", and by definition, it kinda is.

That folder pretty much sums up all the things I've learned during my time with Love2d (How do I make animations work, how can I make my game adjust to the screen size, how can I make tile-maps, how can I make this "Menu" to "Game" state work?

===========================================================
Anyway, I have to thank you for that "You're not as good as me" compliment. But I have to tell you. The better coders are the ones helping out in the forums, making Greenlit-level games, and are producing terrific Tutorials, and I'm nowhere near their level. It pays to learn from them. I know I have.
Konjac1234
Prole

Post by Konjac1234 »

Thanks for the swift and detailed response!

Your mentioning of your "personal libraries" hit me in a good way because I am now currently realizing the need for my own personal library because of the number of times I need to make buttons for my current mini-project. I am aware of SUIT and have used it before but I kind of wanna make my own buttons at the moment.

So basically, like yourself, I need to prototype a lot, read tutorials, get info from forums like these, and struggle with the code? I can't say I haven't read that before but it only reminds me that there is no magic pill to being a better programmer. For you to say that you are nowhere near those other guys humbles me as well as encourages me to get better.

Thanks for the answer, man! I will keep hold of your game and dissect and analyze it from time to time. It really helps!