Dust: Battle Beneath

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: Dust: Battle Beneath

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Oh, the genre is called "action worm"? I didn't even know. Thanks!

OKay! Really nice feedback! Thanks a lot. Really helps to know while I'm working on it! :awesome:
BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:00 am Okey tried a few more times: Sometimes the bot cornered and killed me other times it was plain dumb and stood around while i shot it.
Those are the bots for ya. Sometimes when it's dumb it's looking for/shooting at(and missing :rofl: ) a crate or has run out of bullets. Been fixing them a lot. :? They can even place defensive walls now! :crazy:
(Not now-now...but until I upload the update. The main game will be a roguelite hopefully?)
What you absolutely must do: Adding the sound distance model so you dont have to endure hearing the ki firing around at the other end of the map.
The sound distance model seems like a challenge but it must be done :brows: :ultrahappy:
Also the settings did not stick.

Which settings? All of them or control based or...?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:13 am The sound distance model seems like a challenge but it must be done :brows: :ultrahappy:
Luckily for you, Sources can handle it. See Source:setPosition and friends.
Party member

pgimeno wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm Luckily for you, Sources can handle it. See Source:setPosition and friends.
Woah! That's really convenient, thanks! Didn't know. Which one produces the loudest sound? x,y,z=1,1,1? Like what do I base it off?

Edit: It seems like theres setOrientation, setDistance and a bunch of other stuff. Still not really sure how to use.
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Oh, the genre is called "action worm"? I didn't even know. Thanks!
No i just made that up, you know, after the famous game "worms".

The sound stuff is amazingly easy, was surprised about that:
You set it up with eg love.audio.setDistanceModel( "exponent" )
Next all you have to add is updating the position whenever you move using
love.audio.setPosition(x,y)
and whenever a sound is played you add its position first
sound:setPosition(x.y)
sound:play()

Thats the theory, you may need to tweek x,y with a multiplicator and try other distance models to find a sweet spot where it sounds nice.
Which settings? All of them or control based or...?
Controls where writen the first time i set them, but i set them wrong and it stuck to the wrong instead the ones i set after that.
Last edited by BrotSagtMist on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obey
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:03 pm
pgimeno wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:27 pm Luckily for you, Sources can handle it. See Source:setPosition and friends.
Woah! That's really convenient, thanks! Didn't know. Which one produces the loudest sound? x,y,z=1,1,1? Like what do I base it off?
sigh...

See love.audio.setPosition.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Also see Source. I've not played with audio (yet!) so I have no idea what the units for position/distance are, but position of the Source is relative to the listener - I assume that's the dev/player. This means position 0,0,0 will produce the loudest sound, and increasing distances will make it fall off. Your game is 2D, so just leave z set to 0. You'll likely need a constant scale value that you multiply the x,y coords by to get the right volume for things, but you can only discover that by trial and error.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Party member

pgimeno wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:05 pm
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:03 pm
sigh...

See love.audio.setPosition.
Thanks a lot! :awesome: :ehem:
You're the one who pointed it out in the first place so I guess there's that :ultrahappy: Always the helpful one :brows: (for real though :) )
BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:48 pm No I just made that up, you know, after the famous game "worms".
:ultrahappy: . Yeah, when I searched it and saw nothing, I was like...oh, worms. He based it of that! It sounded legit.
The sound stuff is amazingly easy, was surprised about that:
You set it up with eg love.audio.setDistanceModel( "exponent" )
Next all you have to add is updating the position whenever you move using
love.audio.setPosition(x,y)
and whenever a sound is played you add its position first
sound:setPosition(x.y)
sound:play()

Thats the theory, you may need to tweek x,y with a multiplicator and try other distance models to find a sweet spot where it sounds nice.
Yes! This is exactly what I needed. Explanation that love.audio.setPosition is for the player and source:setPosition is for the sounds made. I thought love.audio.setPosition the same as source. So x,y works with screen coordinates? Might need to convert with a camera. Way better than a ... sigh :ehem:
Controls where writen the first time i set them, but i set them wrong and it stuck to the wrong instead the ones i set after that.
Noted!
milon wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:11 pm Your game is 2D, so just leave z set to 0. You'll likely need a constant scale value that you multiply the x,y coords by to get the right volume for things, but you can only discover that by trial and error.
Thnx for the pointers!

Party member

Been working on it. The bots will definitely(hopefully) be smarter when I update it, but until then I thought I'll post this devlog here ...
Latest devlog post:
Yes, you can not get rid of me that easily. MUHUHAHAH.

I've still been working on the campaign but programming progress has been slow due to lack of electricity where I'm at but that doesn't matter! ​WHY?​ Because I've been doing PLOT!
Yes, oh, yes, Plot soup. Mmmh. I (used to? Still kind of do) sketch manga like comics with their own story and I've studied through the internet on good plot writing and for different types of plots, story archetypes, character archetypes, etc.

Ragdoll Man! A comic I drew a while(like 2 years) back that's 100+ pages. My drawing style has improved since then   :P

I also did a rough sketch of concept art. Haha.
The concept art and my workspace   :crazy: , though I don't have a stylus and can't draw well on digital :cry:

This one was short, but I make progress. Though now I need any idea I can think of for bosses, wether theme or attack pattern cause I have a lot of bosses in design now and I have ideas ranging from a guy who uses turrets to a mecha battle (like those really big bosses that can't fit on screen in 2d fighting games, e.g. last boss in marvel vs capcom). I wish some peope could give me ideas   :shock: .

That's it for now, see yah next time! :joker:
Heheh, that one was short.
Devlog:
Tigsource
Itch.io