A 1D shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

A 1D shooter

Post by BrotSagtMist »

So at another place we joked around with bad game ideas and someone said he likes one dimensional games.
And because i was drunk i took that up as a challenge to write a survival shooter that only has a single line as graphics.
The result is surprisingly well playable, albeit its not balanced the slightest amount.

I share this here in case anyone needs inspiration for unconventional concepts.
Controls are arrow keys to move and 1,2,3 to shoot.

I also genuinely wonder if should turn this proof of concept into a real game, would ppl like to see that?
Attachments
1Dshooter.love
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
obey
milon
Party member

Re: A 1D shooter

Post by milon »

Hey, that's kinda fun. It took me a bit to realize that the lines wrap, and that #3 can charge up to shoot (didn't try that with 1 or 2 I'm realizing now). I'm not usually interested in shooter games, so don't do it on my account, but I did actually enjoy this. :)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Cool game
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

What is R (long pressed)?
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Heh, i thought finding out how it works is the fun part of it so i did not give proper instructions.
The mechanism actually is: the 3 shooting buttons, R;G;B, charge up the percentage of what to shoot of your current ammo.
Your ammo is literally the rgb value of the _gun_ multiplied by 10 and the enemy HP is literally its colour.
Holding down R till it has 100% charge while having 255 red ammo deals 2550 damage to a blue enemy, however red enemy charges up 255 red HP with that. And an enemy with booth colours gets strengthened by overcharged shots.

Quite the complicated stuff i made while being drunk. Nice that you like the concept. Lets see if i can apply it to somewhere in the future.
obey
RedGuff
Prole

Post by RedGuff »

Perfect concept with colors.
The 1D concept is strange: I can't understand if it's good or not.
I suggest a "real 2D game with sounds and gamepad" with this color concept.
wackbyte
Prole

Post by wackbyte »

this is pretty cool!
mr_3tianne
Prole

Post by mr_3tianne »

Really interesting concept. Miziziziz has made a few cool videos on making games that are "outside the box" in terms of how the gameplay experience is delivered to the player, such as "How To Make A Game With No Graphics Or Visuals" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXY7n9N7wJI) and "How to Make a Dungeon Crawler for Blind People" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkACHnK4Rs). This reminds me a lot of those videos.