Lead Haul - Old-school space pirate FPS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Lead Haul - Old-school space pirate FPS

Post by veethree »

Let me just throw in my 2 cents, I found learning the basics of blender fairly easy. And it can export triangulated obj’s with a checkbox. I followed this tutorial.

That being said, the prototype I made was literally a 2d tilemap, just rendered as 3D cubes which wasn’t great for performance or flexibility. I haven’t figured out a good way to use blender to make maps, which, as far as I understand it is something crocotile can do. But I had gun models I was reasonably happy with after just a few hours of messing around.

Now let’s stop derailing this thread and go play some leadhaul :D
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I've already played LeadHaul to death. It's the only reason I'm still going with my project and have decided to completely scrap everything I've done to do it right.

LeadHaul combined with all of Groverburgers 3D projects have given me the push I need to finally hopefully realize the dream I had since the '90s when I was just screwing around with QuickBASIC and some raycaster I found on the internet. As a teenager who grew up with DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D, who used to play around with level editors to make his own worlds, as primitive as they may have been, it's always been my dream. If someone can clone DOOM in Pico-8, I can make a pseudo-Wolfenstein inspired FPS. Especially since they're all the rage these days.
RawinputWizard
Prole

Post by RawinputWizard »

Hello, I tweaked the input and physics system slightly, would love to hear feedback on how to best generalize the ideas into a reusable framework for everyone else:
moddedLeadHaul.love
(96.57 MiB) Downloaded 199 times

https://streamable.com/gqfydj
Last edited by RawinputWizard on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

RawinputWizard wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 am Hello, I tweaked the input and physics system slightly, would love to hear feedback on how to best generalize the ideas into a reusable framework for everyone else:
This is really cool :awesome: . I've always been a big fan of bunny hopping even if I think a bit of extra air control wouldn't hurt.

I think the biggest hurdle with turning this into a framework of some kind is how to integrate it with different collision systems. G3d has some nice functions for collision detection but you really have to create your own collision system depending on your projects needs and naturally the input and physics are going to need to interact with that. If you don't mind ballooning the scope of your project a bit you could implement your own collision system and build a player controller that interacts with that which would serve as a pretty good foundation for anyone trying to make a game in g3d but might also be a bit restrictive. A different approach might be to create a player controller that has some sort of interface which would allow it to receive inputs from an external source that tells it whether or not the player is standing on the ground, bumping into a wall, running up an incline etc. That approach might be more flexible (and require less work) but there really is no way to know how well it would work.

I am a bit split on how best to proceed but I think keeping the framework fairly lightweight is good rule of thumb. I hope this ramble was of some help :)
I'm way too sober for this...
RawinputWizard
Prole

Post by RawinputWizard »

Hydrogen Maniac wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:34 am
RawinputWizard wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:21 am Hello, I tweaked the input and physics system slightly, would love to hear feedback on how to best generalize the ideas into a reusable framework for everyone else:
This is really cool :awesome: . I've always been a big fan of bunny hopping even if I think a bit of extra air control wouldn't hurt.

I think the biggest hurdle with turning this into a framework of some kind is how to integrate it with different collision systems. G3d has some nice functions for collision detection but you really have to create your own collision system depending on your projects needs and naturally the input and physics are going to need to interact with that. If you don't mind ballooning the scope of your project a bit you could implement your own collision system and build a player controller that interacts with that which would serve as a pretty good foundation for anyone trying to make a game in g3d but might also be a bit restrictive. A different approach might be to create a player controller that has some sort of interface which would allow it to receive inputs from an external source that tells it whether or not the player is standing on the ground, bumping into a wall, running up an incline etc. That approach might be more flexible (and require less work) but there really is no way to know how well it would work.

I am a bit split on how best to proceed but I think keeping the framework fairly lightweight is good rule of thumb. I hope this ramble was of some help :)

Maybe @groverburger might be able to give us some inputs/suggestions here?

Also, anyone who tried it or had a chance to compare the code, I'm dying to hear your impressions too.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

Making an engine with this game would be fantastic since löve doesn't have any built in and ready to use 3d library to make such a game.

I modded it over the already done tweaks done by "RawinputWizard" and I added some new textures and tiles and increased a little bit the resolution. It's not completely polished but I think it looks good.

What's the license of this project?
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (822.84 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
I attached the demo here.
Attachments
moddedLeadHaul.love
(24.3 MiB) Downloaded 29 times