Lead Haul - Old-school space pirate FPS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Lead Haul - Old-school space pirate FPS

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Hi, everyone! :awesome:

I rarely get to finish any of my projects so I'm super stoked to present to you:

Lead Haul is a first person shooter inspired by some of the classics of the genre with the usual assortment of key hunting, ludicrous gibs and wall humping that you'd expect from any good boomer shooter.

Here have some screenshots:

Download: Itch page

The game is made using Groverburger's 3D Engine which is excellent and totally recommended if you are, like me, way too comfortable with LÖVE 2D to wrap your head around the likes of Unity or Unreal.
I'm way too sober for this...
siberian
Prole

Re: Lead Haul - Old-school space pirate FPS

Post by siberian »

Very nice!
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

This is awesome! I've always wanted to make one of these games. Love the colorful graphics, Controls feel great. Only note i have is it's a bit easy.
randomnovice
Party member

Post by randomnovice »

Great job! Love it.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Well done, I love it <3
4xEmpire
Prole

Post by 4xEmpire »

Hydrogen Maniac wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 pm Hi, everyone! :awesome:

I rarely get to finish any of my projects so I'm super stoked to present to you:

Lead Haul is a first person shooter inspired by some of the classics of the genre with the usual assortment of key hunting, ludicrous gibs and wall humping that you'd expect from any good boomer shooter.

Here have some screenshots:

Download: Itch page

The game is made using Groverburger's 3D Engine which is excellent and totally recommended if you are, like me, way too comfortable with LÖVE 2D to wrap your head around the likes of Unity or Unreal.
This looks very cool. Will try it today 🙂

]]

Edit: fun game, really like the weapon design. A little more Ai behaviour could make it even more fun :awesome:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Very cool. Inspirational.

I've seen the 3D engine but haven't looked into it. How are the 3D models done? Do I need blender? And the textures? What core skills/items/tools you need to make this happen?

I think a dungeon crawler (with swords and skeletons etc) would be neat.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Awesome! The moment i saw the screenshots i was already thinking if it's powered by Groverburger's 3D Engine. Amazing to see the library mature enough to make this cool game!

btw is the game's source code open-source?
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

veethree wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:05 pm This is awesome! I've always wanted to make one of these games. Love the colorful graphics, Controls feel great. Only note i have is it's a bit easy.
Thanks, I only ever had FPS veterans to playtest the game so I thought erring on the side of caution was better than to make it too punishing.
4xEmpire wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:36 pm Edit: fun game, really like the weapon design. A little more Ai behaviour could make it even more fun :awesome:
I totally agree that the Ai is a little basic, I might try to spice things up in future projects. :D
togFox wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:18 am Very cool. Inspirational.

I've seen the 3D engine but haven't looked into it. How are the 3D models done? Do I need blender? And the textures? What core skills/items/tools you need to make this happen?

I think a dungeon crawler (with swords and skeletons etc) would be neat.
I made the models for the weapons using Crocotile 3D with basically no experience in 3D modelling but you could really use whatever modelling software you want as long as it can export .obj files, which I think pretty much any modelling software can do. The textures are made using paint.net, and using the Juice 56 color palette.

My advice for your dungeon crawler is that you use sprite based graphics wherever possible to make adding new enemies, items, weapons etc as easy and fast as possible. I learned most, if not all, of my basic 3D programming skills from Groverburgers wiki and from messing around with the demos on the g3d thread. Good luck! :)
yetneverdone wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 am Awesome! The moment i saw the screenshots i was already thinking if it's powered by Groverburger's 3D Engine. Amazing to see the library mature enough to make this cool game!

btw is the game's source code open-source?
Thank you, I never put a license on it but I don't mind if you use the code for your own projects :)
I'm way too sober for this...
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Glad to see the age-old tradition of raycasters (even though this is full 3D) living on :)

Super smooth action and the shotgun feels like a charm to use! Really like the whole aesthetic as well - great job!

Thanks for the link to Crocotile 3D - that's a cool piece of software, makes 3D modeling bareable haha
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster