TRYH4RD - A short, challenging boss rush with melee combat!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
abhimonk
Prole

TRYH4RD - A short, challenging boss rush with melee combat!

Post by abhimonk »

Hello everyone!

Last month, I participated in the LowRezJam2021 and decided to try Love2D for the first time! I ended up making a game called TRYH4RD: A short, melee combat boss rush. Love2D was an absolute blast to use, I'm sad I only found it so recently! It feels like the perfect mix between giving you a lot of freedom, but handling all of the more tedious low-level stuff.

The main restriction of the jam was that our game had to be rendered on a 64x64 pixel canvas, making all of our games very low resolution.

tryhard_boss1showcase.gif
tryhard_boss1showcase.gif (1.7 MiB) Viewed 10019 times
One of the game's features is that when you run out of health, you get "knocked down" instead of dying. If you get back up, the boss will only have a portion of their health restored, meaning you can keep trying and beat any boss!

I recently updated the game to have a new "Hard mode" called "Conqueror mode". I also added controller support recently, so I highly recommend using an XBOX or PS4 controller.

If you like challenging action games and boss rushes, give the game a try here!
https://abhimonk.itch.io/tryh4rd

(if you do play, please play on Standard mode your first time! Conqueror mode is VERY hard)
Feel free to leave a comment telling me what you thought (here or on the itch page)!.

Here are some more gifs of the game:
tryhard_boss2showcase.gif
tryhard_boss2showcase.gif (2.93 MiB) Viewed 10019 times
tryhard_showcase3_finalboss_shorter.gif
tryhard_showcase3_finalboss_shorter.gif (988.31 KiB) Viewed 10019 times
LINK:
https://abhimonk.itch.io/tryh4rd

Also huge shout out to Davidobot for maintaining Love.js, which I used for the web version port of the game!
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Re: TRYH4RD - A short, challenging boss rush with melee combat!

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Really well done! I got back up 7 times on standard mode and 45 times on conqueror mode. The last fight was the most hype thing I think I have ever experienced in game jam game. Gave me furi vibes in the best possible way, I've always really liked games where ng+ is the "real" playthrough.

Only issue I have is that some of the soundeffects are a little similar to the soundeffect that plays when you take damage which lead to some confusion on occasion. I think the ability to turn off boss health regen would be a nice addition for masochists like myself since I sometimes felt as though I beat a boss before I really mastered them.

Oh, and the soundtrack slaps. :ultrahappy:
I'm way too sober for this...
abhimonk
Prole

Post by abhimonk »

Hydrogen Maniac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:26 pm Really well done! I got back up 7 times on standard mode and 45 times on conqueror mode. The last fight was the most hype thing I think I have ever experienced in game jam game. Gave me furi vibes in the best possible way, I've always really liked games where ng+ is the "real" playthrough.

Only issue I have is that some of the soundeffects are a little similar to the soundeffect that plays when you take damage which lead to some confusion on occasion. I think the ability to turn off boss health regen would be a nice addition for masochists like myself since I sometimes felt as though I beat a boss before I really mastered them.

Oh, and the soundtrack slaps. :ultrahappy:
Thanks so much for playing! And wow thanks so much for playing on Conqueror! I'm really glad you found the last fight exciting, I spent a lot of time on that final phase. Conqueror mode is definitely the intended level of challenge for the game, standard is kind of like an extended tutorial. I loved Furi, especially on Furier mode; it's definitely one of the inspirations for this game.

Sorry about the sound effects! The hurt sound is definitely really similar to a lot of other sound effects, so I can definitely see how that'd get confusing.

Ah I wish I added a "hardcore" mode with full boss regen, my friends ran into the same thing where sometimes they'd beat a boss without really learning all the attacks by whittling them down. You can technically hold the "R" key to reset the current level (so the boss gets all their health back), but I can see the appeal of a mode without the current regen mechanic.

Also I'm glad you liked the soundtrack! I had a blast writing it (if you ever want to listen to it again, it's available here).
Thanks so much for playing! Your comment made my day!
Toad Venture
Prole

Post by Toad Venture »

Nicely done! It feels quite smooth and I like all the polish that went into things like the last hits (whether for yourself or the boss), and the streaming dialog. The 64x64 resolution limit is maybe a bit too low for me, but it's impressive what you could do with that restriction in place. Are you planning to continue adding to the game or is it finished as-is? Thanks for the bit of fun!
abhimonk
Prole

Post by abhimonk »

Toad Venture wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:39 pm Nicely done! It feels quite smooth and I like all the polish that went into things like the last hits (whether for yourself or the boss), and the streaming dialog. The 64x64 resolution limit is maybe a bit too low for me, but it's impressive what you could do with that restriction in place. Are you planning to continue adding to the game or is it finished as-is? Thanks for the bit of fun!
Hey! Thanks a ton for playing! Glad you liked the boss finisher / death animations, those were definitely a fan favorite. The low resolution is definitely a very specific style, it tends to be a little hit or miss. One thing I really liked the low resolution for was: I'm not much of an artist, so the low resolution made animation way easier, since there were way fewer pixels to deal with!

The game is finished as-of now, no plans to add more to it. Thanks again for the kind words!