The submissions for the Autumn Lisp Game Jam just closed! As usual I created my submission using fennel and love
My goal this year was have a relaxing Jam. I figured making a card game would be a cakewalk. Oh boy, I was so wrong...
As is the case with any game, I think scope creep did me in.
Axion Scion centres around playing as a space dictator balancing the power of three levels of society, the military, the oligarchy and the proletariat. The objective being to make it to the end of round 9 with your and your heir's (Scion's) heads remaining firmly attached.
Each level of society, or strata, have two stats, contentment (happiness) and power. When a powerful strata's contentment gets too low specific "intervention" cards such as coup, and revolution, get added to the deck.
You can play cards and counters to try and balance the power dynamic and keep everyone happy. Or to make sure that the unhappy strata remains too weak to come at you.
Be careful, each strata can also play cards as well, including counters, which can foil your strategies. Left unchecked things can get out of hand real quick, and when things get out of hand you lose your head.
Things I'd like to add post Jam:
- Better telegraphing. Right now its hard to know whats going on if you don't know the symbols
- Tweening animations for cards. Just as the deadline hit I got tweening working for the event ui. I'd really like to get it working for the cards rather than having them teleport to your hands
- Dynamic scaling. I built the game with my new library Anchor, with the intention of dynamically scaling to any screen size. Those intentions fell short duet to time constraints.
- More asyncronisity between strata. Right now the cards available to each strata and their approach to selecting them does not vary greatly. In the future I'd like to have each strata AI play uniquely
- Local multiplayer. The game logic has been built to allow for multiplayer (the ai uses the same interface as the player) I was not sure the best way to implement it during the jam.