THE PACK - Gameboy styled side-scrolling shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jimanzium
Party member

THE PACK - Gameboy styled side-scrolling shooter

Post by Jimanzium »

Hey guys, just published the first public version of the game I have been working on.

The Pack is a Gameboy styled side-scrolling shooter about werewolves hit-men and mobsters.

There's still a few rough edges here and there but I wanted to get it out there so people can play it. (I could put this off forever and it'd still probably not be 'perfect' enough).

Really appreciate anyone that gives this a download and if you can provide some feedback or let me know of any problems that you run into.

Download it here: https://jimanzium.itch.io/the-pack
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: THE PACK - Gameboy styled side-scrolling shooter

Post by ReFreezed »

This is pretty cool. I played until chapter 3.

Some good things:
- The game seem relatively polished.
- Cool cutscenes.
- Very good music!
- Accessibility menu.

Some issues:
- The camera moving to a different position when you shoot is very jarring. Some screen shake would probably work better here. (The accessibility menu should probably also have an option to disable this.)
- Getting shot by off-screen enemies because the camera is kind of all over the place. :/ (I actually enabled infinite ammo so I could spam shoot without worrying about shooting at nothing since ammo is so easy to run out of.)
- It's hard to see what "layer" you're on. I often shot or got stuck on door frames. It seems like there are three layers. Maybe tapping up or down should move the player to the next layer instead (while holding moves you two layers).
- The stages within each chapter seem very similar. When getting to the second stage I thought it was the first stage again, so I went back to the main menu to see if I could select a different stage. I tried selecting a locked stage. After the weird animation that plays all stages were locked for some reason. (I didn't realize right away you could press both up/down and left/right to navigate chapter/stage.)
- The voice volume is too low in the cutscenes (especially the antagonist (I'm guessing it is)) - it's hard to hear over the music.
- I tried rebinding the keys but accidentally bound "start" to the same button as "shoot", because I though "start" was the ok/action button for menus. This prevented me from opening the menu while in-game. Maybe the button should be called "open menu" instead.

Something minor:
The CRT screen effect could use some work, like blurring the pixels (as CTR screens don't really have pixels per se).
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I gave it a quick try. Very unique, i like how this just has a dimension more than the usual sidescrollers.

Sadly my gamepad doesnt work and i hate playing on the keyboard. Will come back to this later.
obey
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

The camera moving to a different position when you shoot is very jarring.
This made me stop. :(

Can see a lot of love and care has gone into this. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

Thanks for the feedback so far, I've made a couple of changes for stuff that I can do quickly

- Camera knockback can now be adjusted in the accessibility menu and is by default a little lower than it was.
- Music turns down when a voice sound is being played

I'll try and address the other issues in a future update.

Again thanks to everyone that's tried it out so far.