The Grand Beetle Run - A 3D Runner

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
alesan99
Citizen

The Grand Beetle Run - A 3D Runner

Post by alesan99 »

This a short sonic-inspired runner game. You play as a beetle (trust me, its a beetle) that runs automatically and you have to move and jump to avoid hitting walls and falling. There are 6 levels and a bonus challenge mode if you beat the game.

Made as a part of my tradition of making a game every December. Had to rush some things in order to reach my deadline, so expect to complete the game in around 20 minutes. Still, hope you enjoy.

Screenshots:
ImageImageImage

DOWNLOAD ON ITCH.IO
Check out my other projects on my page: https://alesan99.itch.io/.

Default Controls: (You can change them in the settings)
  • Move: WASD
  • Holding up makes you run faster and run over short gaps
  • Holding down makes you run slower (never required)
  • Jump: Space
  • Pause: Escape
Credits:
  • Music by Komiku
  • Groverburger's 3D Engine (old version and modified, take a look at my source code if you're interested in some of the effects used in the game, but I recommend using the latest version)
  • Cirno's Perfect Math Library
  • Anim9
  • Inter-Quake Model Loader
Last edited by alesan99 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
togFox
Party member

Re: The Grand Beetle Run - A 3D Runner

Post by togFox »

Nicely done. Another Grove project looking sweet. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

Good job with this one, I had a lot of fun with it. Makes me want to check out your other december projects now :ultrahappy:
kicknbritt
Citizen

Post by kicknbritt »

Deaths: 367
Time: 22:10
Blood Pressure: Way too high

This was so hard wtf
Well done though. Creative map design and fun music
"I AM THE ARBITER!!!" *Pulls out Energy sword and kills everything*
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I am not a fan of 3D jump&run games, I prefer those in 2D but even then I am not very good at them (anymore)
In the ice-level I almost gave up at the single blocks in the water because it was hard to see where you land.
So I only got to the third level (lava) before I gave up. I liked that the game gave me unlimited tries and the next checkpoint was always just in reach.
The fail-animation could be more...faily. For in example in skyroad, which is a similiar game, the spaceship explodes when you hit a wall - leaving no question that you just failed. Maybe some stumble or fall-down animation. Beside that, it felt quite polished for a rushed game, good job.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Oh, your other game "SLUGCASTER" is very addictive. That would be cool to grow into a game with more stuff, levels, enemies etc. My highscore was 62 iirc but I did not have an account to tweet it.
alesan99
Citizen

Post by alesan99 »

knorke wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm Oh, your other game "SLUGCASTER" is very addictive. That would be cool to grow into a game with more stuff, levels, enemies etc. My highscore was 62 iirc but I did not have an account to tweet it.
That game wasn't by me actually, I just added it to my itchio playlist.

But hey thanks for checking this game out though. I agree with your comment about the fail animation, with more time I would've made more of them to actually fit each death scenario (I think I even left in the same animation for when you fall off the level, so it looks quite funny when the player isn't obscured).