Easy spaceship shooter game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
andyvrtl
Prole

Easy spaceship shooter game

Post by andyvrtl »

I'm new with Love2d, but in this weeks I have been creating a game similar to 1943. I started it with only a tutorial of 200 lines of code, and right now, it has around 1600 lines. This improvement is due to all the people that helps this community to grow, so I am very grateful to be able to share my work with you.
If someone wants to know exactly what the game does, I'll find a detailed explanation in my GitHub repository: https://github.com/andyesprg/shooter-game-with-love2D

I hope you like it!
shooter_game.love
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
milon
Party member

Re: Easy spaceship shooter game

Post by milon »

Nicely done!
Here's a quick screenshot since a picture is worth a thousand words. ;)
Screenshot_2022-05-27_13-03-42.png
Screenshot_2022-05-27_13-03-42.png (89.53 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
I don't know if this is intentional or not, but purple hearts hurt you on "pickup".

Also, my little monitor isn't wide enough for your initial resolution so I simply played it in fullscreen. You're probably aware, but you can get the screen resolution with love.window.getMode(), and use that to ensure the game window will fit onscreen.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

good work for a first project :crazy:
milon wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:08 pm I don't know if this is intentional or not, but purple hearts hurt you on "pickup".
I read the instruction beforehand which say: "...a purple heart will appear, don't touch it! If you do it, you will loose one heart."
And I thought ooh that will be confusing. :P
Maybe use a skull or bomb graphic?
It should not be nessecary to read a manual to find out whether an object has good or bad effects.

Same with keys layout: Just show the keys on splashscreen. (Players will try common keys like arrows & spacebar but I doubt many will find "b" to shot a bomb, especially since there is nothing ingame that hints towards a secondary weapon)

On death all enemies disappear, I think would be smoother if they continue until offscreen.

Gameplay seems technically okay but a bit lacking. Maybe there would be more depth to it if enemies attacked in formations, currently it is noticeably very random()
Learning the patterns of enemies is usually a big part of scrolling shooters and it also gives a sense of progress.
freeve4h
Citizen

Post by freeve4h »

this is great!
andyvrtl
Prole

Post by andyvrtl »

I'm so grateful for all your comments and your advices, I have tried to make several improvements as you have told me, I hope you like it. :nyu:
shooter_game.love
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
andyvrtl
Prole

Post by andyvrtl »

I have improved this game with a new library called spline, you can see this improvement here:
https://github.com/andyesprg/shooter-game-with-love2D
Mail_isSWAG
Prole

Post by Mail_isSWAG »

Really fun! Great Game!