Granite Crash

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Varkas
Citizen

Granite Crash

Post by Varkas »

In the hope to actually finish one of my projects I decided to try something small. A game in the spirit of the old C64 "Boulder Dash" game. I think I have most game elements working now. Quite some graphics are placeholders till I finish the real art. Same for sounds, but I think the sounds that are there are actually quite ok.
v003-title_screen.jpg
v003-title_screen.jpg (430.1 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
version-002.png
version-002.png (60.41 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Source Code is here, available under GPL v3
https://github.com/Varkalandar/granite_crash

To see what is already working, check this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ezu14IAOTw

Older videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P255buk2Mac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzWo40PArrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSl_XF1u6I

Latest Love archive to try (v0.03):
download/file.php?id=21221
Last edited by Varkas on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Granite Crash

Post by GVovkiv »

well, it will be nice to place .love file here, so anyone can just click on it, instead of cloning repo
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Ah yes. I didn't know the forum allows to upload .love files. So lets see if this works on other computers too, or only on mine ...

Edit: It's currently really just a demo. Some graphics are placeholders, and there is only one level.
Attachments
granite_crash_v001.love
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Varkas wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:18 pm Ah yes. I didn't know the forum allows to upload .love files. So lets see if this works on other computers too, or only on mine ...

Edit: It's currently really just a demo. Some graphics are placeholders, and there is only one level.
Well, it's works fine for me, hah
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

I dug, explored, exploded, became a grave, explored the afterlife as a grave, collected 51 out of 42 possible gems, and barely escaped an all-consuming black void from above. Amazing.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Hooray! I guess you got the most possible out of it. The black void is bug though. I had the effect too, but right now I am not sure what causes it. I think I have a problem with the map data handling there.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

New version, new bugs. Well, I hope a few old bugs fixed, too. I didn't experience the black void effect anymore, seems I could keep my map data safe from the garbage collector.

The player now has a total of 5 lives (press Escape to restart the level after dying) and once down to 0 lives, you restart at the first level again. There are 4 levels currently, but except the first, all need some more work. Still I think I have the basics of the game down now. One collects gems, the exit to the next level opens once one has enough gems and then one can continue to collect there till the 5 lives are exhausted.

Missing is a title screen, a highscore list and some of the graphics and sound effects need better versions.
Attachments
granite_crash_v002.love
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

The game got a title screen now, a total of 4 levels and some new sprites for the critters. Level design is harder than expected, but I hope I can come up with some nice puzzles soon.
v003-title_screen.jpg
v003-title_screen.jpg (430.1 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Attachments
granite_crash_v003.love
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

I've been working on a new tileset, darker and more consistently looking. Also, there is a new level (Level 3, the former levels from 3 are now 4 and 5). Also, rocks on wall ends are now in an instable position and will roll off the wall if there is no support anymore.

At the moment there is a style clash though, the title screen is still showing the old tiles while all levels use the new tiles. At some point I hope to have a few tile sets to make levels more varied, beyond the slight tint that they get now.
v003-gothic_tiles.png
v003-gothic_tiles.png (150.18 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
Use arrow (cursor) keys to move.
Attachments
granite_crash_v004.love
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

A new feature, and a new level have been added. A growing slime, which will make crawlers explode on contact, but is harmless to the player. If encased fully, it will condensate into gems. There are some glitches which I could not full track down, but it seems to be playable from level 1 to 6. For the moment, stay 2 tiles away from bouncing rocks.

v005-vault_map.png
v005-vault_map.png (111.45 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

Move with the cursor (arrow) keys. Press esc after death to resume the level with a new live.
Attachments
granite_crash_v005.love
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 99 times