Mono Warp - A short monochrome shoot em up

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Rastashmup
Prole

Mono Warp - A short monochrome shoot em up

Post by Rastashmup »

Hi,

while I am still working on my package of ten first-generation shoot em ups (4 out of 10 finished so far), I decided to tackle a little side-project. This game here is the result. Contrary to my other games, this one is more of a second-generation style shoot em up with scrolling levels and a boss at the end of each level. The game is rather short. It has a total of 3 levels and can be beaten in little more than 10 minutes. That is, if you can beat it. The game is brutally hard, and even in Easy-Difficulty it is still a solid challenge. The game was created using Löve version 9.0.

Here is what it looks like:

The game can be downloaded from the attachment to this post. I'm also planning to release it on itch.io, but if you download it from this post, you can get it earlier.

The controls are as following:

Keyboard: "z" or "y" to fire, directional buttons to move, "p" to pause
the game

Mouse: left mousebutton down to fire, right mousebutton down to make
your spaceship follow the mousepointer - it's best to keep the
right mousebutton pressed, so you can drag your spaceship around

Gamepad: "a","b","x" or "y" to fire, Dpad to move your spaceship,
"start" to pause the game

All inputs work simultaneously. Note that you can also use each input to select a difficulty on the title screen. With the mouse, you simply move the mouse cursor over the difficulty setting you wish to select, with the other controls press up and down to select your difficulty. Then you press fire to start the game.

More info about the game can be found in the readme.txt that comes with the download. Now all there is left to say is: Thank you for playing "Mono Warp".
Attachments
MonoWarp_version_1_0.zip
The full game
(12.96 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Mono Warp - A short monochrome shoot em up

Post by ReFreezed »

Nice. Seem pretty well made. And difficult indeed! I'd say there's a bit too much stuff on the screen to avoid at certain times, at least on the first level (which I didn't get past, even on easy). The powerups also seem very rare. They should maybe be more common on easier difficulties. In fact, easier difficulties should probably do more than just affect the number of ships.

A small note: my PS4 controller didn't work with LÖVE 0.9.0 that the game uses, but it did work when I tried 0.9.1. (I guess built-in gamepad mappings got updated.)
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Actually, there is one more difference between the difficulties: in Hard mode, you lose firepower when you lose a ship, in Easy and Normal you don't. You will always lose your satelites though (the little things that follow your ship and fire extra shots). But the satelites will be spread on the playfield so you can collect them again as you respawn.

Edit: Might think about using newer versions of Löve in the future if there is issues such as with the gamepad. The reason I was still using Löve 9.0 is because I had an old notebook that didn't run Löve versions newer than 9.0, and I thought, since Löve 9.0 still runs on newer machines and supports older machines as well, why not choose the version that overall supports more machines. But it doesn't seem to be that simple.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Rastashmup wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:15 pm ... in Hard mode, you lose firepower when you lose a ship, in Easy and Normal you don't. You will always lose your satelites though (the little things that follow your ship and fire extra shots). But the satelites will be spread on the playfield so you can collect them again as you respawn.
Ah, I didn't notice.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
steVeRoll
Party member

Post by steVeRoll »

Please also provide a .love file so that people on other systems will be able to play as well.
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Ok, here comes the ".love" file. Now, since downloading the love file gives you access to the game's sourcecode and resources (you could rename the file extension .love into .zip and then extract the game's content) I should clarify what you can and cannot do with it. You are allowed to use the game's sourcecode as an example or template to create your own games. What you are not allowed to do is to take the game as it is, or to modify it and to claim that it is your own work or to sell it. You may re-use or modify the graphics, sound effects and music to use in your own games as long as you're not making a profit from it, but you may also not re-sell those resources and claim that they're your own.
That being said, now for the .love file. I threw the ".love" file I created the ".exe" with away and had to create a new one for posting it here. But it should work just as fine as the original one, it's just not tested. If it does not work, please notify me so I can correct it.
Attachments
MonoWarp.love
The love file for the full game
(10.1 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Rastashmup wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am I should clarify what you can and cannot do with it
Well, i mean, you can just put license (that suits your need) file in project and call it day
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Rastashmup wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am Ok, here comes the ".love" file. Now, since downloading the love file gives you access to the game's sourcecode and resources (you could rename the file extension .love into .zip and then extract the game's content) I should clarify what you can and cannot do with it.
Just FYI, the same applies if you change the .exe file extension to .zip. In fact, people in other systems like me, don't need a .love file, they can just run 'love MonoWarp.exe' and it will work. It's just polite to offer the .love file.

So, keep in mind that when you distribute a .love file, you're distributing the source, therefore you better leave the legal terms clear about the source and assets when you release. That applies also to compiled code actually; I'm not sure if by default people even have the right to run your code.
Rastashmup
Prole

Post by Rastashmup »

Thanks for your info. I wasn't aware that you can also unzip the .exe file. From now on, I'll put licenses into the packages of my upcoming games. But what are the formal requirements for that? Is it a valid license if I just put a "license.txt" into my game's folder where I write out what I allow and don't allow others to do with the game and its resources? Or would I have to choose one of the existing licenses out there?
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Rastashmup wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 pm Thanks for your info. I wasn't aware that you can also unzip the .exe file. From now on, I'll put licenses into the packages of my upcoming games. But what are the formal requirements for that? Is it a valid license if I just put a "license.txt" into my game's folder where I write out what I allow and don't allow others to do with the game and its resources? Or would I have to choose one of the existing licenses out there?
It's probably better to use existing license