Spell Sling - First-person roguelike dungeon crawler - post jam version released!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Spell Sling - First-person roguelike dungeon crawler - post jam version released!

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Legends speak of a series of powerful spells inscribed on a holy scroll hidden deep underground where only fools would dare to wander... fools and you.

Hi everyone!

I've been working on this for the last two weeks as part of this years LOWREZJAM and thought it was good enough to share here on the forums. The game is a classic roguelike dungeon crawler with a focus on spell casting and puzzle-like problem solving.

Here's some screenshots(from the latest post jam version ;) ):

DOWNLOAD ON ITCH
Last edited by Hydrogen Maniac on Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm way too sober for this...
marclurr
Citizen

Re: Spell Sling - First-person roguelike dungeon crawler

Post by marclurr »

Very cool, I couldn't stop "just having one more go". I would have liked a map just to stop me from wandering around an empty level checking I've seen everything but other than that it's very impressive. I'll leave a rating on the submission page, it deserves more people to see it.

Out of interest, is it a raycaster or a 'proper' 3D engine?
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Nice graphics and audio. (different footstep sounds!)
Does the fighting just work by bumping into enemy? I did not quite understand the ingame-text about spacing. You seem to take damage when attacked from the side?
Anyway, my first play without having read anything:
https://youtu.be/Y8FSC-woJ4g
At 4min40 I place a timed bomb and wait for it to explode. Nothing seemed to happen for some seconds, so I step forward and it explodes. Or was it from hitting space again?

On the itch.io page maybe rename the .love download from "Source code" to something like ".love version - run via love2d framework" or something? I think source code does not sound like something playable, at least not to non-dev people.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Pretty fun game. You should mention somewhere that it's turn based.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

marclurr wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:34 am Very cool, I couldn't stop "just having one more go". I would have liked a map just to stop me from wandering around an empty level checking I've seen everything but other than that it's very impressive. I'll leave a rating on the submission page, it deserves more people to see it.

Out of interest, is it a raycaster or a 'proper' 3D engine?
Thanks, I did consider adding a map but had to scrap the idea in order to hit the deadline. The game is made using g3d.

knorke wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 am Nice graphics and audio. (different footstep sounds!)
Does the fighting just work by bumping into enemy? I did not quite understand the ingame-text about spacing. You seem to take damage when attacked from the side?
Yes, you attack enemies just by moving into them and enemies attack by moving into you.

With the benefit of hindsight I should probably have turned that textbox into an illustration. What I wanted to convey was that since enemies take their turn immediately after you do and will (with a few exceptions) always try to attack if they're adjacent to you, it follows that ending your turn next to an enemy guarantees taking damage whereas ending your turn one space away from an enemy will force it to move towards you on its turn allowing you to kill it without taking damage.
knorke wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 am Anyway, my first play without having read anything:
https://youtu.be/Y8FSC-woJ4g
At 4min40 I place a timed bomb and wait for it to explode. Nothing seemed to happen for some seconds, so I step forward and it explodes. Or was it from hitting space again?
I still get a fuzzy sort of feeling whenever I see a video of them playing my game, so thanks for that :)

Bombs explode immediately on the 3rd turn after being placed but will explode prematurely if they're damaged.
knorke wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 am On the itch.io page maybe rename the .love download from "Source code" to something like ".love version - run via love2d framework" or something? I think source code does not sound like something playable, at least not to non-dev people.
Sounds like a decent idea.

ReFreezed wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm Pretty fun game. You should mention somewhere that it's turn based.
Good idea, that didn't even occur to me.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

I always love me a roguelike.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I love these 3D projects, they really showcase how capable LÖVE is.
It is a bit too many pixels for me, hurting my eyes, higher resolution would be nice but nice graphics otherwise.
The idea to run in to enemies to fight them to interact instead of shooting bullets and what not is neat. interesting.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

A post jam version is now available to download on the itch page!

It took me *a bit* longer than anticipated but I hate leaving projects unfinished so I couldn't just let this game sit in its current state for much longer. Here's some of the new features, fixes and changes I have made in the new and improved post jam version:
  • The game now features a higher resolution which can be reduced in the settings menu if you prefer the pixelated look.
  • Nuke and Big fireball are new super spells that can be found in rare pink chests in the dungeon.
  • Spells now only have two charges
  • Added new secrets
  • Reworked Blink and Arcane shove to be more useful
  • Improved ghost and mini slime readability
  • Better tutorialisation
  • Toggleable Fullscreen
  • You can now walk backwards
  • More map variety
  • Various bugfixes
  • And more!