Krol - A turn based isometric dungeon crawler

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Thierry
Prole

Krol - A turn based isometric dungeon crawler

Post by Thierry »

Hello to all,

I am happy to present you my first game made with Love2d. More precisely, this is a pre-release demo of the game; many improvements and evolutions are planned (first of all: addition of skill and magic cards). This demo will be published on itch.io soon.

Here are some screenshots of the game:

I'm also putting the .love file here as recommended, although I'm a bit ashamed of that messy code.

There is a bug that I'm not sure has been solved, which concerns the potions effect; it sometimes stops immediately after the end of the game turn, or sometimes the original movement or combat score is decreased after the effect ends. If you observe such behaviour, I would appreciate it if you would report it to me.

I hope you enjoy this demo, I'll come back to this topic to update you on the developments.

Regards,
Attachments
krol.love
(60.53 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by Thierry on Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Krol - A turn based isometric dungeon crawler

Post by ReFreezed »

I like the atmosphere.

There seems to be a bit of an issue with aiming and clicking on tiles, i.e. the wrong tile being highlighted and clicked (specifically on the bottom left to top right axis). It's also kinda hard to see objects sometimes.

Keep up the good work!
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Ross
Citizen

Post by Ross »

Pretty cool. I played through the first level. Seems pretty solid, menus that work, a map, and everything! :D The gameplay is pretty basic as far as I played, I would expect either some RPG stuff with character stats, or some tactical combat elements (or both!). Seems like a great start though.

The only real annoyance I had was that it's hard to see the walls, they really blend in with the floor. It's actually easier to look at the map to see the room layout (the doors can be really hard to see in the normal view as well, particularly if they're in a corner).
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

I love this project! I added it to my favorites. Do you host it in git? I may contribute if there's anything I can help with... maybe translations?
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

ReFreezed wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:28 pm There seems to be a bit of an issue with aiming and clicking on tiles, i.e. the wrong tile being highlighted and clicked (specifically on the bottom left to top right axis). It's also kinda hard to see objects sometimes.
Thank you for your feedback and your encouragement.
You're right about the tile hovering, I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the problem anymore. I'll try to fix this soon.
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

Ross wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 pm Pretty cool. I played through the first level. Seems pretty solid, menus that work, a map, and everything! :D The gameplay is pretty basic as far as I played, I would expect either some RPG stuff with character stats, or some tactical combat elements (or both!). Seems like a great start though.
Thank you so much for your feedback.
Regarding the gameplay, I indeed plan to add basic elements such as skill and specialities cards that will be provided to the player at the beginning of each level.
About the combats, the only tactical elements that are implemented yet are that you have more chance to hit your opponent when you attack from behind - and vice-versa, , and that enemies have more chance to hit you when there are several of them attacking you.
Ross wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 pm The only real annoyance I had was that it's hard to see the walls, they really blend in with the floor. It's actually easier to look at the map to see the room layout (the doors can be really hard to see in the normal view as well, particularly if they're in a corner).
Regarding the walls, I think the problem is more present on the first level, because the walls have the same shade as the floor; might have to correct that. On the 2nd and 3rd level it seems to me that they are more visible.
It's kind of voluntary that the doors are not so visible, in order to accentuate the exploration aspect of the game. However, once again in the following levels they seem more visible to me because of their size. I might have to redesign the first level (which is supposed to be a ruined village).
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

glitchapp wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:42 am I love this project! I added it to my favorites. Do you host it in git? I may contribute if there's anything I can help with... maybe translations?
Thank you so much, I am really touched !
At the moment the code is hosted in a private repository, which I can't share because it is related to a professionnal account (which have nothing to do with the game).
When you mention translations, do you mean new languages or improving the English version ?
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

Thierry wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 am
glitchapp wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:42 am I love this project! I added it to my favorites. Do you host it in git? I may contribute if there's anything I can help with... maybe translations?
Thank you so much, I am really touched !
At the moment the code is hosted in a private repository, which I can't share because it is related to a professionnal account (which have nothing to do with the game).
When you mention translations, do you mean new languages or improving the English version ?
I did not checked the options menu properly, now I see there is English and it is well translated so you probably won't need help with that.

I could eventually help with other languages and I have contacts that worked on some projects that could help adding new languages.

I think it would be a good idea to host it on any git server just in case other people could contribute, unless you prefer any other system for contributions.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I can see some genuine effort went into this. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

glitchapp wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:55 am I did not checked the options menu properly, now I see there is English and it is well translated so you probably won't need help with that.

I could eventually help with other languages and I have contacts that worked on some projects that could help adding new languages.

I think it would be a good idea to host it on any git server just in case other people could contribute, unless you prefer any other system for contributions.
My bad, I thought I had set the default language to English, maybe I should.

Thanks for your proposition for other languages, but I think it would be too early to add languages now, because I will certainly integrate kind of a story in the future, so the current language strings are not definitive. However, I will then probably need help in English too.

I am not ready to open my project to a collaborative repository right now. It may sound autocentric but this is my first game project that I'm bringing to something playable, and I started it with the idea of doing as much as I could myself. At this stage I prefer to continue at my own pace, and I have a rather long todo-list to complete myself at the moment.

By the way I forgot to mention two libraries that are used in the game :
Binser to serialize save data
lua-star for pathfinding