Krol - A turn based isometric dungeon crawler

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
glitchapp
Party member

Re: Krol - A turn based isometric dungeon crawler

Post by glitchapp »

Thierry wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:51 pm
glitchapp wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:55 am I did not checked the options menu properly, now I see there is English and it is well translated so you probably won't need help with that.

I could eventually help with other languages and I have contacts that worked on some projects that could help adding new languages.

I think it would be a good idea to host it on any git server just in case other people could contribute, unless you prefer any other system for contributions.
My bad, I thought I had set the default language to English, maybe I should.

Thanks for your proposition for other languages, but I think it would be too early to add languages now, because I will certainly integrate kind of a story in the future, so the current language strings are not definitive. However, I will then probably need help in English too.

I am not ready to open my project to a collaborative repository right now. It may sound autocentric but this is my first game project that I'm bringing to something playable, and I started it with the idea of doing as much as I could myself. At this stage I prefer to continue at my own pace, and I have a rather long todo-list to complete myself at the moment.

By the way I forgot to mention two libraries that are used in the game :
Binser to serialize save data
lua-star for pathfinding
Hi, that's completely fine! I understand I hope your proyect goes well as it looks really good to me.
Thanks for sharing those libraries, I also need a pathfinding library for my game for the mouse controls and the serialize library could also be useful as I'm also trying to implement a save function so I may use them too in the future.
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

Hi all,

I have udated the game thanks to your feedback :
- fixed the inaccurate mouse hovering on tiles
- changed the walls and doors sprites in level 1, in order to make them more visible

I've changed the .love file in the first post. Is this what is usually done or should I have put it there?
Do you think it would be useful to put also a .exe file here, although most of the forum readers should have Löve installed ?
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Thierry wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:11 pm I've changed the .love file in the first post. Is this what is usually done or should I have put it there?
Do you think it would be useful to put also a .exe file here, although most of the forum readers should have Löve installed ?
Updating the first post is good. If anyone new checks out the thread the latest version is the first download they will see (as opposed to having to dig through the entire thread).

I'd say posting an .exe with the .love isn't very useful, at least for a game that's not finished, and a finished game should probably be posted to itch.io or something instead.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

ReFreezed wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:54 pm I'd say posting an .exe with the .love isn't very useful, at least for a game that's not finished, and a finished game should probably be posted to itch.io or something instead.
Thanks for your answer, I will probably post the demo on itch.io soon if no other issues are reported to me.
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

Hello, I have published my itch.io page : https://krol-game.itch.io/krol
It's the same version as the one I posted here though.

The development related to the "skills" part will take some time, I will come back to keep you informed.
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

Hi everyone,

I just published a new version of the game on itch.io. The Löve file has been updated in the introduction message of this post.

The main changes are the following:
  • The player chooses at the beginning of the game a "way" card (Strength, Guile or Wisdom) and an "attribute" card (Constitution, Agility, Mental)
  • Depending on the cards chosen, the player will have access to various skill cards over the levels (Dodging, Lockpicking, Trap Detection... 19 skills available in total)
  • The Wisdom path gives access to magic, which, like the skills, gives access to different spell cards (among 10 spells in total) depending on the attribute chosen
  • Traps appear from level 2. They can be spotted (with difficulty) with the naked eye or with an ability or a spell. An ability can also be used to deactivate them.
  • The interface has been tweaked, especially to integrate mana and spell cards, but also to add the character sheet and improve the map display
  • Added level 4 with a new environment
The complete changelog can be found on the itch.io page (https://krol-game.itch.io/krol)

If you had already installed the game, loading a game in progress should not work because the structure of the save file has changed.

Future updates should be more frequent; I'll come back here to let you know.
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Post by SugarRayLua »

Beautiful looking game, @Krol :-)

Can the cursors be removed without harming gameplay too much? Mobile devices (at least iOS) don't support custom cursors yet in Love2D so won't run on mobile iOS. The game looks like it might still be playable without the cursors. If so, can you let us know where in the code the cursors are invoked. Initially, I see a snippet of code starting at line 76 in interface.lua that uses cursors commands.

Thanks!
Thierry
Prole

Post by Thierry »

SugarRayLua wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:52 am Beautiful looking game, @Krol :-)

Can the cursors be removed without harming gameplay too much? Mobile devices (at least iOS) don't support custom cursors yet in Love2D so won't run on mobile iOS. The game looks like it might still be playable without the cursors. If so, can you let us know where in the code the cursors are invoked. Initially, I see a snippet of code starting at line 76 in interface.lua that uses cursors commands.

Thanks!
Thank you for your kind feedback. Unfortunately, I havn't planned to adapt the game for mobile devices, since the gameplay is mainly based on the use of the mouse. For example the mouse wheel is essential to rotate the character, to avoid attacks from behind. And I am currently working on a "conical" fov (using https://github.com/markandgo/Lua-FOV) so the rotation will be even more important to scan the content of the rooms. By the way , I don't think we can do without the cursors because especially the lockpicking skill requires to switch from the "key" cursor to the "lockpicking" cursor (by clicking on the right mouse button). However, if you want to do a test, the different cursors are called in home.lua and especially actions.lua, each time you see the code love.mouse.setCursor.
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Post by SugarRayLua »

Thanks for that further information, @Thierry.

I'll try testing it out without the cursor. At least for the iPad mobile device, it has a trackpad with mouse features so can still use mouse commands with Krol but just can't set a custom cursor.

Have a good upcoming week :-)
SugarRayLua
Citizen

Post by SugarRayLua »

Krol_iPAD.gif
Krol_iPAD.gif (54.18 MiB) Viewed 3371 times
@Thierry,

The basics of the game seem to work well and run on Love2D on the iPad once I removed the custom cursor references (see attached video). Perhaps later on in development you'd consider an alternative option instead of the custom cursor interface? The iPads with trackpad/mouse can fully utilize Love2D's mouse commands-- just note the custom cursor commands at present.

I'd be happy to alpha/beta test any releases you make that might use alternative methods than the custom cursor interface.

Krol looks like it has a lot of potential-- reminds me of the original Diablo :-)