Rem Psycho - Dream Simulator (+Gamepad, +fixed update)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Rem Psycho - Dream Simulator (+Gamepad, +fixed update)

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

First off, be highly sceptical of anything that says "Dream Simulator" ...

REM PSYCHO

A deckbuilder(?), bullet heck like game where you can...

• Dance around (though try not to be hit by your psyche, 'Kay?)
• Play as  different characters including a goblin conjurer
• Make squishy sounds you've always dreamed of making
• Do the lightning cha-cha
• Summon rainbow lightning
• Forget about your social obligations

...AND MORE...!

Watch out for clouds, they may block your view if you're not careful.

You have a certain amount of moves, more moves are given when you level up.

WASD/Right, Left, Up, Down to move.

Click on moves with mouse

REM PSYCHO
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Rem Psycho - Dream Simulator

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Yea that looks quite cool, unfortunally i have no idea what is going on, heck how do i even atack? Like whats the attack button? Also it seems you missed binding the up arrow.
obey
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm Yea that looks quite cool, unfortunally i have no idea what is going on, heck how do i even atack? Like whats the attack button? Also it seems you missed binding the up arrow.
Yeah, you attack. Spells/attack with yellow frame means you can *cast* it, grey means it's is cooldown.
Avoid boss attack red cells, cast your own spells, repeat. (well, until game become so fast, that you will unable to understand what is going on)

Quite fun, but game is so fast, that i don't really can keep up, haha.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

There are certainly things to like about the game. I managed to beat the first opponent first try, but I had little idea that was going on most of the time. Mechanics need to be introduced one at a time for the player to learn them before the game can throw everything at once at them, otherwise the player will get overwhelmed and confused.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Party member

BrotSagtMist wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm Yea that looks quite cool, unfortunally i have no idea what is going on, heck how do i even atack? Like whats the attack button? Also it seems you missed binding the up arrow.
w should be up...right? That should work. Oh and did you click the ? at the bottom left?
GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:30 pm Yeah, you attack. Spells/attack with yellow frame means you can *cast* it, grey means it's is cooldown.
Avoid boss attack red cells, cast your own spells, repeat. (well, until game become so fast, that you will unable to understand what is going on)
:rofl: :rofl:
Quite fun, but game is so fast, that i don't really can keep up, haha.
:ultrahappy: Thanks, the game makes me happy so it's really nice to see others liking some aspects of it.

I , like said other times, like fast gameplay so this is all my fault :ultrahappy: Though I can assure you I made it easier and it's very possible to play. The clouds blocking your view is also part of difficulty some times. I should have made level ups after boss battles so it would be less hectic.

The first boss deals kind of a small enough damage for learning how things work.

Dodging is kind of important, then if time can be found you attack, eventually after a few bosses you'll move EVEN FASTER, FASTER THAN LIGHT ITSELF AND AND...It's Psychotic.

I think the game works pretty well on android too though it may be harder to press attacks.
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Party member

ReFreezed wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:22 pm There are certainly things to like about the game. I managed to beat the first opponent first try, but I had little idea that was going on most of the time. Mechanics need to be introduced one at a time for the player to learn them before the game can throw everything at once at them, otherwise the player will get overwhelmed and confused.
Thanks for playing. (double posting cause you ninja-d me :rofl: )

Aren't dreams supposed to be confusing? :crazy:
But for real, yeah, I see the problem. Didn't have time in the jam to polish these things.

Did you click the "?" mark? I need to know this so I know whether or not to force a help popup to appear.

(Funny enough there are only 2 things you can do, Move and click an attack to see what it does.)

Side you beat the first boss you must have seen either YOLO or 5kb/s (which one was it?) and if it was YOLO things could have gone really fast :rofl:

BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Ah, weird, first try i could not click those, now it works. Using the mouse for those is awkward, can you gave them a button bind? Maybe in the number row or a 1:1 map to the numpad makes sense.

so i kinda killed a few bosses i think? Yea still no idea what it is, plays like a mushroom trip, entertaining, terrifying.
Died, no game over screen?

Yea w works for up, but i dont have a qwerts keyboard so these directions are randomly scattered for me.
So i usually use the arrow keys. But note that a game can also bypass a custom layout and use the raw keyboard letters, you might consider using that in the future, its a little change with no visible side effects for most players but instantly corrects any problem caused by non standard keyboards for those who need such.
obey
Party member

BrotSagtMist wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 pm Ah, weird, first try i could not click those, now it works. Using the mouse for those is awkward, can you gave them a button bind? Maybe in the number row or a 1:1 map to the numpad makes sense.

so i kinda killed a few bosses i think? Yea still no idea what it is, plays like a mushroom trip, entertaining, terrifying.
Died, no game over screen?

Yea w works for up, but i dont have a qwerts keyboard so these directions are randomly scattered for me.
So i usually use the arrow keys. But note that a game can also bypass a custom layout and use the raw keyboard letters, you might consider using that in the future, its a little change with no visible side effects for most players but instantly corrects any problem caused by non standard keyboards for those who need such.
Ahh, I'll do that key thing later then, I keep forgetting, thanks! (I even made left,right,etc up because I thought of non-qwertys and such. Just forgot to do "up")

The VS means you killed the boss (+it explodes :P) Also There's a game over ... err...popup?

BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Yea but after the popup its just a black overlay...

I once made a game where, on the wasd part right and left where inverted, because obviously i had not tested it. So i uploaded this on a forum for people to test and they all confirmed it was fine... and then during the jam people complained...
Yea that shit happens.
I am actually now using a fixed premade key binding library for this kind of games so that i never have to deal with this kind of error again. Within my game for example i request "up" and the lib checks w,up,dpad,analog sticks,numpad aaaand gravity sensors. So everything is in place now.
obey