Snowfall: Eat Your Cookies!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
rodeko
Prole

Snowfall: Eat Your Cookies!

Post by rodeko »

Dodge the snowfall and eat the freshly baked cookie to keep yourself warm and avoid damage from the unrelenting cold winds.
https://rodeko.itch.io/snowfall-eat-your-cookies

Bare bones but fun?ctional. I made this game for the CS50 online course final project. If you've played, what is your highest score?
Click the link to the itch.io page where you can play in the browser or download for windows, mac and linux(.love file). :)

Edit 02 (Bug fixed):
Restarting the game by pressing 'R' and then dying would cause the game to spawn way more snow flakes than intended.
Last edited by rodeko on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
zalander
Citizen

Re: Snowfall: Eat Your Cookies!

Post by zalander »

Hey !
I played the game and I think its good but my request may be kinda wired :| ... can I create this game again to practice my coding ?
Using LOVE to make everything except games :crazy:

Code: Select all

astring = "pog"
print(astring)
--pog
rodeko
Prole

Post by rodeko »

Hi. Glad to know you liked it. Sure, practice away. I don't think you need to ask permission for that. :) If you have any other questions I'll see if I can help. I followed sheepolution's tutorials to make my game. https://sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents
zalander
Citizen

Post by zalander »

Thanks ! :ultraglee:
Using LOVE to make everything except games :crazy:

Code: Select all

astring = "pog"
print(astring)
--pog
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Nice game mechanics.
I do think there is a hitbox problem tho, i get damaged even if there is nothing touched.
obey
rodeko
Prole

Post by rodeko »

Thanks!
There is a game mechanic that damages you if you don't grab a cookie :joker:. It is symbolized by the description and red countdown near your hearts. There is also a wind whooshing sound effect that plays if that countdown reaches zero. But if you do grab a cookie the countdown resets with an added one second delay.

It may be this that is damaging you even if you are not touching one of the white squares. These are the only two ways you can get damaged, unless there is a bug. :(

Extra explanations as to why I made it that way if you are interested:

I made it this way so that people would be more encouraged to chase the cookie not only to score points, but also to avoid damage and take more risks with their moves. As opposed to being super careful or staying for too long in a position. On top of that, eating the cookie is also rewarding because you get health back and if you are doing well enough you get extra protection and score more points with chain multipliers. But this automatic freezing winds damage is more forgiving, because you don't lose combos or chains if damaged by it which increases your chances of getting life or shields back. So avoiding snow flakes is more important.
Hopefully it creates this juggling act where you can't stay still for too long to avoid damage, you may need to take bigger risks that may lead to more punishing damage, but it may lead to better rewards and increase your survivability that gives you more chances to be risky.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I see, might be a tad too short i think tho.
obey
rodeko
Prole

Post by rodeko »

Yeah, I was the only one to play while balancing the gameplay, so I have no idea how hard or easy it is for anybody else. From my own experience it is challenging at the beginning, but it doesn't take long before you get the hang of it. Thx for the feedback.

I just found a bug as well that it is making the game much harder than it should be. If you restart the game by pressing 'R' and die the snow falling increases for some reason. This didn't happen while I play tested :o. I'll fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.
akseliv
Prole

Post by akseliv »

Nice game mechanics! I also like working with squares for graphics :D
rodeko
Prole

Post by rodeko »

:) Thx for playing.
In my case it was due to time constraints :oops:. But I do find it an interesting challenge to try to make squares or simple graphics appealing.