Box-Head Adventures - A physics based platform game, Updated

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kalle2990
Party member

Re: Box-Head Adventures - A physics based platform game, Updated

Post by kalle2990 »

You jumped past the end? O_o
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

No, i didn't press "space"... I tried only to reach it, but i haven't been able to stop...
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Odd, you have to jump to get up to the finish, since it's on a platform higher than the one below, like a box over a platform. Are you using LÖVE 0.5.0 or LÖVE 0.6.0?
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

0.5.0, but in-game i don't have to jump to climb an obstacle. When i hit one the box guy rolls over it (and i've found it nice)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

What?! :o
That doesn't happen when I play the game, I have to jump it, or try 15 times...
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Noticed this bug when I used my schools PC to run the game, pretty odd, because all it uses to move things is the physics, and it is using the dt. So I don't know. I noticed I jumped a little lower too, I guess it's a physics bug or something... :?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Box-Head Adventures requires me to work hard to (just) move around.

I learned a lesson from the Knytt Stories design tour:
David Rosen wrote:In a platformer, the player will spend most of the game running, jumping and climbing, so it's important to make those actions as intuitive and precise as possible. With better controls you can make more complicated levels, without making them frustrating or unfair. The overall difficulty of a game is a combination of the difficulty of controlling your character and the difficulty of the challenges your character faces. It is much more satisfying to have an agile character defeating complex challenges than a clumsy character defeating simple ones.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Do you think that a fat red box can be anything but clumsy? ^^
And this games runs very diffrent on diffrent computers making it harder/easier, I can't fix that...
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

kalle2990 wrote:Do you think that a fat red box can be anything but clumsy? ^^
I agree that a "clumsy" and "box" fit. So having a hard time to move the box is realistic but to me it is not enjoyable.

Just in case: I'm not critisizing you or your skills. I hope that letting you know what I experience when playing the game might let you find things you don't like about the game and improve it.
kalle2990 wrote:And this games runs very diffrent on diffrent computers making it harder/easier, I can't fix that...
You can control the game speed by using the time difference between two "update(dt)" - I can't explain how exactly to use it though. :|
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
F687/s
Prole

Post by F687/s »

You can control the game speed by using the time difference between two "update(dt)" - I can't explain how exactly to use it though. :|
That's one way to do it. What I did with my platformer was use an "ideal" dt that would be seen in a perfect world (0.005 IIRC), and then divide the current dt by that. Like:

Code: Select all

for i=0,dt/idealdt,1 do
	Player.y = Player.y + (Player.v/8)
end
Yeah, it's a hackish solution, but it works (for the most part). If anyone who isn't a hacker can propose a better solution, feel free, and please add it to the wiki or something for the world to enjoy. ;-)

On a side note, about the whole "clumsy box" debate, the whole game, down to the music, kinda gives off the feeling of an awkward box. (Hmm. Awkward Box. I should use that sometime...)