In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.12

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Bobble68
Party member

Re: In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.0

Post by Bobble68 »

darkfrei wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:43 pm
Bobble68 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:11 pm
I'm not sure I have the skill or experience to properly fix this
Just make the right mesh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_strip

...I also just realised I got convex and concave mixed up :rofl:
demo.png
demo.png (32.47 KiB) Viewed 126401 times
Setting it to strip though creates this weird shape (ignore the pixellated line)

Edit: I'm going to set up a new threat in support and development for this, I don't want this thread getting too cluttered with my own incompetence.
Dragon
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94574

Yesterday i added this tool where i make polygons by adding points (no matter which direction it goes left or right). Then i use love.math.triangulate to get triangles. Then i make an mesh with triangle fans not strips. There i calculate u,v coords from x,y coord to get some nice repeating pattern.

I looked at your last question Booble68 but i do not understand where you get problems with concave or convex polygons. Never had this problem when i did the demo editor.
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

Been taking a little bit of a break since I last posted, have been messing around with some stuff. Here's a video of what I've been working on!

I also have an itch.io page now! I still plan on posting .love files here, but if you'd rather get the .exe version you can find it here: https://bobble68.itch.io/in-the-heavens

A question though - would you prefer that I posted updates on this thread, or in separate ones? Would probably be cleaner in separate threads, but I don't want to clutter up this forum.
Dragon
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Bobble68 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:20 pm A question though - would you prefer that I posted updates on this thread, or in separate ones? Would probably be cleaner in separate threads, but I don't want to clutter up this forum.
You could also just rename this thread to "In the Heavens" and post here anything related to it.
Except, maybe, problems and help request, since it might make more sense post it in "Support and Development".
Bobble68
Party member

Re: In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.4

Post by Bobble68 »

Hello again! I have returned with a new version, 0.1.4! This one is mainly experimental, hopefully addressing some performance issues some people where having. Other than the way islands are saved and drawn, not much has changed, so hopefully I won't ever have to touch them again.
Attachments
dragon 0-1-4.love
(24 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by Bobble68 on Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon
UnixRoot
Citizen

Post by UnixRoot »

Runs way better. 15 FPS and massive stuttering vs fluid 60 FPS with only a few drops if I fly faster.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Affirmative, playable.
Not super fluent but a huge improvement anyway.
obey
Bobble68
Party member

Re: In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.5

Post by Bobble68 »

Hello again! Has been a little while since the last update, have been taking a little break since the last update broke my brain a bit, but I'm back at it again!

This update brings a huge quality of life improvement for the builder mode, a new menu in which object presets can be selected! This can be used by pressing tab in the builder mode.

I've also made some improvements on the initial loading times (on this current computer it's around 3.7x faster, mileage may vary).
screenshot 1.png
screenshot 1.png (166.64 KiB) Viewed 123929 times
screenshot 2.png
screenshot 2.png (143.65 KiB) Viewed 123929 times
Attachments
In the Heavens.love
(24 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
Dragon
Sammm
Prole

Post by Sammm »

Hello!

I just wanted to say that flying around this game is super fun, I love the music and overall the game feels magical. I'd thought I'd mention a few things though:

First of all, when going really fast, I feel like the camera zooms out way too far. The dragon is just a speck in the sky and it's hard to see anything but the blue sky. Secondly, the terrain could have a lot more life if there were more variety. I'm not sure if you've considered that, but adding more grass and maybe some variation in the stone could make the game look a lot better and feel more alive.

As for bugs, I noticed two things: Firstly, if diving really fast, you can sometimes glitch into a rock, as seen from the image.
Screenshot 2023-08-15 11.39.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-15 11.39.33 PM.png (267.21 KiB) Viewed 123536 times
Secondly, when talking to the climber, I got an error.
Screenshot 2023-08-16 3.06.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-16 3.06.27 PM.png (31.08 KiB) Viewed 123536 times
Otherwise this game is awesome, keep up the great work!!
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life
LonelyOwl
Prole

Post by LonelyOwl »

I just had to post and say your flying mechanic feels so good, and is very well done. Just flying around alone is so much fun. Great design!