LOST [Released]!!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ghosx
Prole

Re: LOST [Released]!!

Post by Ghosx »

i thought the 10 fps in my POTATO computer only.
but i think the problem is from the moonshine library, before i applied the moonshine effects(vignette and fog) the game was great!
My Itch.io profile page: https://ghosx.itch.io/ see ya :3
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Deleting moonshine gives full fps yes, BUT:
Youve thrown in way too much code.
Evidently the startup time is horrible and the cpu usage is above 60%.
For you next project you should question everything you write if it is really necessary.

For reference a game like this should not have a startup time, neither a high cpu usage and is doable in ~100 lines.
obey
Ghosx
Prole

Post by Ghosx »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:32 pm Deleting moonshine gives full fps yes, BUT:
For you next project you should question everything you write if it is really necessary.

For reference a game like this should not have a startup time, neither a high cpu usage and is doable in ~100 lines.
thanks, i am new to lua(my last lua code was in 2017 so i forgot it) i tried to use shorter expressions.
and i don't know why does the startup taking too much time, GeTtIng TiReD FrOm The FaIlEd ATtEmPtS To Fix ThIs GaMe (the low fps, the startup, the code, etc...).

MY First Game LOL
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Then just start something else.
Endless fixing wont get you anywhere.
Its playable, some people played it, some even finished, there all done, now to the next project.

On the danger of starting another angry discussion: Try to make a game without this weird _self_ style and without cluttering the whole thing in a dozen tiny files.
Ive never seen that work out and its a nightmare to debug.
Last time i advised that was viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94465 and that did not end up well, but this sums up my opinion.
obey
Ghosx
Prole

Post by Ghosx »

Okay great!
UnixRoot
Citizen

Post by UnixRoot »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 pm Last time i advised that was viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94465 and that did not end up well, but this sums up my opinion.
I actually find your answers helpful and not rude at all, but I'm German too. People just don't get along with our direct manner. Bist ein gutes Brot.
Ghosx
Prole

Post by Ghosx »

UnixRoot wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:03 am
BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 pm Last time i advised that was viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94465 and that did not end up well, but this sums up my opinion.
I actually find your answers helpful and not rude at all, but I'm German too. People just don't get along with our direct manner. Bist ein gutes Brot.
Not all people, BrotSagtMist helped me in LOST game by saying his opinion on everything thing in the game, I am not gonna lie but I felt a little but depressed about me and my game, and big thank again to BrotSagtMist :neko:
Ghosx
Prole

Post by Ghosx »

hey everyone, I wrote this comment because I think it has been too long since I have updated the game and I need some feedback for the game, I made this game as a practice and I think I made it somehow horrible it is short yeah, but what could I implement in it?

and thank you!
zingo
Prole

Post by zingo »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:32 pm Deleting moonshine gives full fps yes, BUT:

There always seems to be a compromise between visual effects and efficiency, and in my opinion, for a minimalistic platformer the goal should be to produce something that's accessible on a variety of systems, easy on the cpu, yet still stylistic and appealing. This balance requires a lot of consideration for what is necessary, and will compliment the story, gameplay, overall tone and experience of the game, in contrast to what can be optimized, or omitted.
Ghosx
Prole

Post by Ghosx »

zingo wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:17 am There always seems to be a compromise between visual effects and efficiency, and in my opinion, for a minimalistic platformer the goal should be to produce something that's accessible on a variety of systems, easy on the cpu, yet still stylistic and appealing. This balance requires a lot of consideration for what is necessary, and will compliment the story, gameplay, overall tone and experience of the game, in contrast to what can be optimized, or omitted.
Makes sense + also I tried to make the game 3mb so this was a little bit challenging for me :P