GW2

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kadoba
Party member

Re: GW2

Post by Kadoba »

Nixola wrote:Oh wow, I don't care about the good ones and I'd like the bad ones... I won't ever buy this game.
I wouldn't completely count it out because of some bullet points. It's actually really unique and despite the simple combat it's a lot of fun. At the same time I'm disappointed because the strategic combat was my favorite thing about GW1.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Kadoba wrote:It depends on what you like. So far I'm enjoying it but I have my gripes.

Good
  • No monthly fee.
  • Dynamic events are genuinely fun.
  • Several different ways to level from crafting to exploring.
  • Strong end-game PvP.
  • Extremely easy to group with friends no matter the level or server.
  • Tons of conveniences that make playing more fun such as bank deposits, mailbox access, and trading post shopping from any location.
I Completely agree with your good points, but I disagree with a few of your bad points.
Kadoba wrote: Bad
  • There's not enough strategy in choosing your skills and combat is a button-mash fest. This is a huge contrast to GW1.
I never played GW1, so I'll have to take your word for it, but I rather enjoy the variety of skills in the warrior class. My rotations change depending on what kind of enemy and how hard they are and whether or not I'm in a group.
Kadoba wrote:
  • Story, dialogue, and characters all seem very boring/contrived to me.
I actually am enjoying the story and dialogue a lot, but I am doing the charr storyline. I started as the Asura, and quickly rerolled, as it was very dry.
Kadoba wrote:
  • Character progression is rapid but doesn't feel like you're accomplishing anything.
I find that leveling allows me to continue the storyline, so I get a rather strong sense of acomplishment.
Kadoba wrote:
  • Very little character customization. All builds feel pretty much the same.
As for character customization, have you figured out how to dye your armors? Also, the game has just come out; They can't compete against games that have had years to make different armor types (e.g. WoW)
Kadoba wrote:
This is all my opinion of course.
Lafolie wrote:I'm too poor to try this game, but I'm partial to the odd MMO (I love FFXI). Do you guys deem it worth the money?
Entirely. SWTOR was a waste of money IMO, but I am loving GW2.
nevon wrote:I'm Nevon.8375.
I'll add you!
coffee wrote:So what's your situation guys?

11000 Guild Wars 2 players fall victim to hackers

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19543035
http://www.develop-online.net/news/4191 ... to-hackers

Some years ago I wanted to play this game so bad but I can't get more time to play mmorg's. Not even D3 I got.
Looks like my password was strong enough.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Nixola wrote:Oh wow, I don't care about the good ones and I'd like the bad ones... I won't ever buy this game.
OFF-TOPIC: Twins?
qaisjp
nixola
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

coffee wrote:OFF-TOPIC: Twins?
Guess Nixola ate him. He usually eat people.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I used to eat people, and I do not eat obeyers! Why should I eat my own allies?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

josefnpat wrote: I never played GW1, so I'll have to take your word for it, but I rather enjoy the variety of skills in the warrior class. My rotations change depending on what kind of enemy and how hard they are and whether or not I'm in a group.
Guild Wars 1 was more like an action card game. You only had 8 skills slots but you had 1319 different skills to choose from (depending on your class and subclass and other factors). The skills had pretty complex mechanics with one another so you could spend hours building different skill combinations. In GW2 you're pretty much tied to your weapon set, the skills don't play off each other unless you're doing field combos, and the only skill resource is cooldowns so you're encouraged to use skills every time they are up. This leads to keyboard smashing gameplay. It's fun in its own way but I'm really worried about the long-term appeal.

I guess I'm just comparing the two games too much.
josefnpat wrote: I actually am enjoying the story and dialogue a lot, but I am doing the charr storyline. I started as the Asura, and quickly rerolled, as it was very dry.
I find that leveling allows me to continue the storyline, so I get a rather strong sense of acomplishment.
It must just be my race then. I'm playing a human and the regular characters are very flat with Captain Thackeray being one huge Mary Sue.
josefnpat wrote: As for character customization, have you figured out how to dye your armors? Also, the game has just come out; They can't compete against games that have had years to make different armor types (e.g. WoW)
The cosmetic customization is fine. I meant build customization like traits.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Kadoba wrote:
josefnpat wrote: I actually am enjoying the story and dialogue a lot, but I am doing the charr storyline. I started as the Asura, and quickly rerolled, as it was very dry.
It must just be my race then. I'm playing a human and the regular characters are very flat with Captain Thackeray being one huge Mary Sue.
I agree that the storylines are pretty meh, and the voice acting is definitely terrible. However, I don't think it's a big deal. People don't play MMOs for the story. If that was the case, you'd be better off with a FF game or Skyrim or something. People play MMOs to socialize with other people while playing a game.

That said, I can't really think of an MMO where the story was actually good. So in that sense, GW2 isn't really behind in any way.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

nevon wrote:I agree that the storylines are pretty meh, and the voice acting is definitely terrible. However, I don't think it's a big deal. People don't play MMOs for the story. If that was the case, you'd be better off with a FF game or Skyrim or something. People play MMOs to socialize with other people while playing a game.

That said, I can't really think of an MMO where the story was actually good. So in that sense, GW2 isn't really behind in any way.
Fair point. But personal stories was suppose to be a big feature in GW2. It might not have been a disappointment if they hadn't tried to hype it so much but the writing ended up average in an industry where it's below average. But I'll admit it's less of a bad point and more of a "not that great" point.
Last edited by Kadoba on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.