is it possible to make a 2d pixel shooter

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Titousensei
Prole

Re: is it possible to make a 2d pixel shooter

Post by Titousensei »

Check-out this excellent video tutorial on how to build a 2d shooter: http://cupm.net/public/love2dtutorial/
tv_user
Citizen

Post by tv_user »

I've seen a lot of people in the same situation as poopooheadcow (where in what good God's name did you get the idea to name your profile poopooheadcow??????) getting "bashed" because of posting something like this. I guess it just goes to prove that Lovers are a different group, way more tolerant hehe.
Well poopooheadcow, I think your problem lies with this: you probably don't know a thing about game programming. Perhaps not even a great deal about general programming at all. I can be wrong, I'll admit that, but your questions lead me to that sole conclusion. I'd advise you to start low, get to know a programming language (Lua is fine), then read a little bit about game programming (just search the web for tutorials and stuff), and finally, visit the Wiki, download some demos and explore their code, try to understand them, then try changing little things and see what happens. And when you have doubs, you can try searching the forums for an answer or post for help.
Good luck.
Did my comment help/offended you? Use the Karma button!!
LÖVEing each day...
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

In addition to the above post I would like to say that trying to learn hands-on is the best way to learn, pick a small project that you like - read the code - try to understand it. Slowly create a simple game (don't jump to frameworks and classes just yet) and enjoy yourself - make yourself happy that you can actually code.
Then, understand frameworks and read the Lua reference and the LOVE wiki (infact, you should always have a LOVE Wiki tab open) - read the documentation.

Anyway.. that's how I learn't. Love is much easier to learn Lua than how Anderl, Wojak(?) and I learnt Lua.
Lua is not an acronym.
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

qaisjp wrote:In addition to the above post I would like to say that trying to learn hands-on is the best way to learn, pick a small project that you like - read the code - try to understand it. Slowly create a simple game (don't jump to frameworks and classes just yet) and enjoy yourself - make yourself happy that you can actually code.
Then, understand frameworks and read the Lua reference and the LOVE wiki (infact, you should always have a LOVE Wiki tab open) - read the documentation.

Anyway.. that's how I learn't. Love is much easier to learn Lua than how Anderl, Wojak(?) and I learnt Lua.
Well that definitely beats how I learnt lua, disecting code from ROBLOX for about a year and a half. :)
Your screen is very zoomed in...
poopooheadcow
Prole

Post by poopooheadcow »

qaisjp wrote:In addition to the above post I would like to say that trying to learn hands-on is the best way to learn, pick a small project that you like - read the code - try to understand it. Slowly create a simple game (don't jump to frameworks and classes just yet) and enjoy yourself - make yourself happy that you can actually code.

is there a website that i can learn lua or love in?
Last edited by poopooheadcow on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

I assume you mean playing around with programming online.
If you mean just Lua then there's the demo, which you can just play around with Lua on. For love I don't believe there's an online method.