What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

luaz wrote:Just wondering... I dislike Notepad++ a lot personally.
I'm on windows, I use Notepad++, since I started programming with LuaPlayer's and Löve2d.
I also use Scintilla (tight with LuaForWindows package) when I just want to run pure Lua snippets.
That's all for me.
For what reason don't you like Notepad++ ? Missing features ?
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Not that I don't respect your opinions, but you should be dead for not liking NP++ .__.
Lua is not an acronym.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Vim.
And a good console.
When I write def I mean function.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

josefnpat wrote:What are you talking about? Google before you say things like this!

gEdit has Syntax Highlighting as one of the core syntax. (win, os x and linux)

nano has .nanorc versions (http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/nano-lua-highlighting/)
As far as I know, they still don't offer auto-completion.
josefnpat wrote:Just to be clear, fancy doesn't always mean better. Give me nano/gEdit/notepad++ over Visual Studio any day of the week. I will give in that photoshop is better than gimp, but photoshop costs hard $$$.
99% of the fancy software is better than non-fancy. ;) Why do you like less-advanced software so much better?
AntonioModer wrote:Notepad++ have autocomplete of functions and words.
I use Notepad++ with autocomplete.
It does, Gedit doesn't though. And I believe Nano doesn't too.
pk wrote:Visual Studio might be a viable option, but from what I hear, writing plugins for it is a pain, plugins break with every new release, and the free versions don't even include the plugin API.

Really, open source programs like Emacs and Vim have always had far better support for other languages.
Well I wasn't talking about LUA here, I was talking about C++. As for "break with every release" - who cares? Visual Studio probably won't release another version until 2014! So far, I'm aware that there is some abandoned plugin for VS 2010, but since my current machine can't handle even VS 2003, I'm not willing to try it. After that, I'm sticking to 2012, so I'm not gonna use VS for LUA anyway.
pk wrote:Going a bit off topic here, but maybe people don't know that Photoshop is affordable for mere mortals now, at least here in the U.S. I'm renting Photoshop CS 6 for $20 USD a month. :cool:
That's pretty cool. I thought only games could be rented. :)
Roland_Yonaba wrote:For what reason don't you like Notepad++ ? Missing features ?
I hate the interface, and I dislike the fact that even it's supposed to be lightweight, it really isn't. I'm not sure about the lightweight part though, because I've tried it a long time ago. However, I looked at the screenshots, and I still hate the interface. A lot.
qaisjp wrote:Not that I don't respect your opinions, but you should be dead for not liking NP++ .__.
Why? :emo:
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I like how easy it is to run arbitrary commands from within gedit. Launching LÖVE straight away with the game you're editing is an absolute necessity. Of course, other editors and IDEs can do this too. But for a free and open source software, it does its job very well.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

T-Bone wrote:I like how easy it is to run arbitrary commands from within gedit. Launching LÖVE straight away with the game you're editing is an absolute necessity. Of course, other editors and IDEs can do this too. But for a free and open source software, it does its job very well.
You mean press a key and it launches? That's useful. Personally, though, I'm looking for autocompletion, like what Visual Studio has to offer for languages like C++, C#, etc..
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

luaz wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I like how easy it is to run arbitrary commands from within gedit. Launching LÖVE straight away with the game you're editing is an absolute necessity. Of course, other editors and IDEs can do this too. But for a free and open source software, it does its job very well.
You mean press a key and it launches? That's useful. Personally, though, I'm looking for autocompletion, like what Visual Studio has to offer for languages like C++, C#, etc..
https://love2d.org/wiki/Notepad%2B%2B

Autocompletion configuration is there for NP++
Even execution of the game.
Lua is not an acronym.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

qaisjp wrote:
luaz wrote:
https://love2d.org/wiki/Notepad%2B%2B

Autocompletion configuration is there for NP++
Even execution of the game.
It's for 0.7.2, and I still hate the GUI. :|
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

luaz: create the IDE yourself - you aren't going to find a fully working latest-version IDE FOR ANY LUA-BASED-FRAMEWORK UNLESS IT IS FROM SOME HOTSHOT COMPANY SELLING THEIR IDE. Stop expecting Visual Studio IDE's - make it yourself.
Lua is not an acronym.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

qaisjp wrote:luaz: create the IDE yourself - you aren't going to find a fully working latest-version IDE FOR ANY LUA-BASED-FRAMEWORK UNLESS IT IS FROM SOME HOTSHOT COMPANY SELLING THEIR IDE. Stop expecting Visual Studio IDE's - make it yourself.
That was funny. :awesome:

Do you hate big companies?