Blög?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
User avatar
Karai17
Party member
Posts: 852
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Blög?

Post by Karai17 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 am

Is there any particular reason why löve does not have a news/blog page? I think that could be quite beneficial to the project and community as a whole. From a newbie's perspective, löve hasn't been updated since April, making the project look kind of dead (despite the engine source being updated on a frequent basis).

A news page could allow the engine devs to talk about bug fixes, new features, etc before a release is made. Perhaps even offer nightly/weekly builds. Also, to increase community interaction, the news page could have posts that feature current projects such as games or libraries posted on the forum.

Thoughts? Ideas? :)
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3615
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Blög?

Post by Jasoco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 am

I kinda wish Löve would do Nightlies. A blog isn't needed since big updates come out far between. As I understand it's always being worked on, but it takes forever. I'd love to download a Nightly of Löve every day. Especially if it was the faster LuaJIT version. We're on 0.8.0 right now and people keep talking about how 0.8.1 will do this and 0.9.0 will do that, but we can't really do anything with that unless we want to compile the thing ourselves. Nightlies would be nice. If they're available for OS X, Windows and Linux all at once. If not Nightlies, hows aboot Weeklies? Or at the very least Monthlies.

User avatar
substitute541
Party member
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Southern Leyte, Visayas, Philippines
Contact:

Re: Blög?

Post by substitute541 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 am

A Twitter account and a widget for the forum/main Love2D page that shows the current tweets would be nice. Call it "Love2D Lövely updates"?
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.

szensk
Party member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 am

Re: Blög?

Post by szensk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 am

Jasoco wrote:I kinda wish Löve would do Nightlies. A blog isn't needed since big updates come out far between. As I understand it's always being worked on, but it takes forever. I'd love to download a Nightly of Löve every day. Especially if it was the faster LuaJIT version. We're on 0.8.0 right now and people keep talking about how 0.8.1 will do this and 0.9.0 will do that, but we can't really do anything with that unless we want to compile the thing ourselves. Nightlies would be nice. If they're available for OS X, Windows and Linux all at once. If not Nightlies, hows aboot Weeklies? Or at the very least Monthlies.
I'll post builds for Windows as soon as I can merge changes. They include LuaJIT2 and the latest build should have vertex shader support. I don't have access to OS X, but I'll see what I can do for Linux.

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2761
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Blög?

Post by slime » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 am

szensk wrote:They include LuaJIT2 and the latest build should have vertex shader support. I don't have access to OS X, but I'll see what I can do for Linux.
The vertex shader stuff isn't in the main repository yet. Hopefully soon, though!

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3615
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Blög?

Post by Jasoco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am

What does that mean? Vertex Shading?

szensk
Party member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 am

Re: Blög?

Post by szensk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am

It's much like a pixel effect, except that it applies to vertices. Both being written in GLSL. Wikipedia

User avatar
T-Bone
Inner party member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Blög?

Post by T-Bone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

An official blög would be great. When there isn't much to talk about in terms of new functionality in newer versions, it could focus on the games and projects that are currently being made. Of course somebody would have to spend quite a lot of time writing it...

User avatar
Robin
The Omniscient
Posts: 6506
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:29 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Blög?

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 am

T-Bone wrote:Of course somebody would have to spend quite a lot of time writing it...
I'd do it, if the devs let me. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.

User avatar
silver_hawk
Prole
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: Blög?

Post by silver_hawk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:58 pm

I would be nice with a blog, that posts recently completed projects and other neat news, fx. utilities and such? So that people could see some activity around the community :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests