An open request to LÖVE library authors...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: An open request to LÖVE library authors...

Post by Lafolie »

I don't think we should encourage female programmers.

I think we should encourage programmers. I also think that we should encourage them to write awesome scripts with whatever filename they want.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Lafolie wrote:I don't think we should encourage female programmers.

I think we should encourage programmers. I also think that we should encourage them to write awesome scripts with whatever filename they want.
Yes, I agree!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

scutheotaku wrote:As far as gender...why assume that library names like "AnAL" and "SECS" would turn off female programmers any more often than they would turn off male programmers?
Note that the topic has been split, and the gender thing isn't about library names at all. I wanted to create a new thread for the gender issue to avoid this kind of confusion, but it seemed the community didn't really feel the need to talk about it (it's not obvious from this thread, but you should have been there on IRC when that went down).

I think library names is more an issue of professionalism than offending anyone, and I for one don't participially see the need for this community to become professional.
scutheotaku wrote:In fact, if we're going to look at gender stereotypes, I would think that LOVE would be more attractive to women considering the "girly" name and the rainbows and such :D
It might work the other way around, though. LÖVE's theme is pretty feminine and in the world of programming and gamers at large, that's sometimes seen as something bad. It might be that there are women who do not want to risk joining this community because they have experiences of being bashed because of their interests in feminine things. Of course, I have no experience with any of this myself so I don't know if that's the way it works.
scutheotaku wrote:And who knows, maybe some females are already here?
I think I know... two? And both of them were on IRC, not on the forums, interestingly.

It is not encouraging none of them have come forward in this thread. Either there's really no active female lover, or there is at least one but all of them feel that they'd rather not reveal their gender on this forum, even in the context of this thread and even though the rest of their identity is still anonymous.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

To clarify my comment: I didn't mean that we should start some major campaign to attract female programmers and users here. A general purpose campaign to attract more programmers and users would have to happen first. What I meant is that if our library names, games, and conduct on this forum was gender-offensive (and while we're at it, offensive towards sexual orientation and identity), then that stuff should be what gets a little focus and correction, as opposed to making Love an enterprise grade professional software suite and tech support package.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

As a homosexual I think we're over analyzing things a bit here. Regardless of gender and sexual orientation I doubt any reasonable person would get upset over a few off-color names. An uncomfortable conversation over social justice will probably turn off more people. :P

I'm sure the reason we don't get as many ladies around here is simply because, for whatever reason, game programming is an interest dominated by males. It's been said but we just need to keep a neutral environment. Putting any sort of demographic on a pedestal would be the quickest way to alienate them.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Kadoba wrote:Putting any sort of demographic on a pedestal
I'd just like to point out once more that no-one is suggesting or arguing for this. It's a zombie strawman.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Robin wrote:I'd just like to point out once more that no-one is suggesting or arguing for this. It's a zombie strawman.
I may have used too strong of an analogy. What I meant was that we shouldn't treat any group any different from the rest. You said on the previous page that we need to keep an eye out for women role models and developers to join the community and that we should be more careful what we say to female newcomers. I just think gender, or any other status, shouldn't be considered at all. We should just keep the community open and friendly and if any women happen to join and become part of it then that's great.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That sounds like gender blindness, though.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

You either have equality or you don't. I'm not saying we shouldn't recognize women, just that they shouldn't be treated differently than what any other person deserves simply based on their gender. That's its own form of sexism. You downplay their real abilities and factor in their gender in skills where it has no effect on. You effectively lower your standards for one group of people and it's demeaning to them.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I do no such thing. This has nothing to do with skill, only with the community. I love this community and that's why I want to improve it.