What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3650
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Jasoco » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 am

I hate blocky shadows. Even Minecraft got rid of them by adding smoothing to make the blockiness harder to notice. This is the same style everyone uses. Well except the meatball part. It only looks bad there because there's too many light sources and they're all big. I only posted it to show off the metaball style. What I have now looks better. Blocky lighting would actually make it look wrong with the fake 3D space method I use. (Tiles are 32x32x24 pixels so things like the stacked crates don't line up after the first box.)

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3650
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Jasoco » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:56 am



Just experimenting with a sort of "redstone" style system. I probably won't use it though. Just wanted to implement it and see how it looked. Thing is the style of game I am making wouldn't really need a system like this. Though it's pretty cool. It's just a lot of work. I don't even know how to properly implement a system like this so it's a bit hacked in. If you notice closely in the video, there's a lot of bugs with figuring out how much power a specific circuit piece has. It's supposed to start at 15 (Like Minecraft) and decrement with each subsequent circuit block until it reaches 0. But for some reason you'll notice the circuit to the left of the pressure plate button is 16 instead of 15. And there's two 7s. Screw it. I don't have time to bother with a properly implemented redstone system in this project. I just wanted to do it and post it. Now I can rip it all out and go back to my normal script based system.

cval
Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by cval » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Trying grid-snapping construction system as opposed to freehand one. This probably should introduce vibe that i get from other tiled sandbox games, i guess.


Whatthefuck
Party member
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Whatthefuck » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:08 pm

It has been a while since I last posted here, but here's a dev blog type video of a game dev sim type game I'm working on.
The video is 14 minutes long and I talk about all the major/interesting/visible changes that happened to it since I first uploaded a video of it back in June 30 of 2016.



If you don't wish to watch the entire 14 minutes of it, there is a quick screenshot comparison between what it used to look before and what it looks like now within the first minute of the video. :)

PS, the sounds you hear in the video are 100% placeholders, don't pay much attention to what you hear there.
A lot of the sprites are placeholders too, I'll need to hire someone to help me out with the art side of things later when I'm more or less done with the gameplay aspect of the game.

Edit: just realized the youtube link was broken, fixed now

Germanunkol
Party member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Germanunkol » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

cval wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 pm
Trying grid-snapping construction system as opposed to freehand one. This probably should introduce vibe that i get from other tiled sandbox games, i guess.
That looks pretty cool! I think the light in front of your vehicle is a little weird, though, since it seems to be a point light which spreads in all directions (even backwards). Maybe decrease the arc in which it sends out light? That would make it look more like headlights.
But overall, the light and shadow effects are very cool.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de

cval
Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by cval » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Germanunkol wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am
cval wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 pm
Trying grid-snapping construction system as opposed to freehand one. This probably should introduce vibe that i get from other tiled sandbox games, i guess.
That looks pretty cool! I think the light in front of your vehicle is a little weird, though, since it seems to be a point light which spreads in all directions (even backwards). Maybe decrease the arc in which it sends out light? That would make it look more like headlights.
But overall, the light and shadow effects are very cool.
Thanks! Yeah, i find that kinda weird too, but i imagine it like if there are several headlights and on sides too. Actually this is because my light engine kinda struggles with arc-constrained point lights, so i was lazy and just set up point light and a shadow behind it. I'm working on it.

alloyed
Citizen
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 pm
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by alloyed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm

So I'm working on a new animation tool, inspired by a bunch of twitter gifs and this talk by bret victor in particular.

I would call it "performative" animation: instead of making keyframes and doing a bunch of tweaking to get the timing and motion just right, you just perform the motion you want, like a musical instrument, and then you can go back and clean it up, add squash and stretch, etc in multiple passes.

Does this sound interesting, generally? And what would a tool like this need to be useful, esp. if you're already using something like flash?
Attachments
mime_arrows.gif
mime_arrows.gif (2.26 MiB) Viewed 3323 times

Annabelle
Prole
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Annabelle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Working on a planet explorer game at the moment. Only at the very start of it at the moment sadly.
Image

User avatar
zorg
Party member
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Absurdistan, Hungary
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by zorg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Not really a game, since i'm testing 0.11's audio capabilities; it's a module player.

I'm also considering coding in an Organya player as well (the format used by Cave Story) since it's somewhat similar.
lts3m.png
lts3m.png (102.45 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.

Germanunkol
Party member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Germanunkol » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm

alloyed wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm
So I'm working on a new animation tool, inspired by a bunch of twitter gifs and this talk by bret victor in particular.

I would call it "performative" animation: instead of making keyframes and doing a bunch of tweaking to get the timing and motion just right, you just perform the motion you want, like a musical instrument, and then you can go back and clean it up, add squash and stretch, etc in multiple passes.

Does this sound interesting, generally? And what would a tool like this need to be useful, esp. if you're already using something like flash?
This does sound pretty cool, yes!
It would be nice if this would support sprite animation as well (i.e. swapping images or quads). And maybe an "export to sprite-sheet" function? That should be relatively simple to do by just rendering keyframes to a canvas and exporting it as a .png.
I'm guessing some sort of curve editor would be useful for the tweaking (even though you want to record the movement).
A parent/child relation ship would be nice as well (so the transformation of the parent also affects the transformation of the child). This could easily be realized using the Transform lib.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests