What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

Progress update on my GUI library:

Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The last three projects I've screwed around with are as follows. Please hold all questions until the end of the tour.

Raycasting engine in the style of Wolfenstein.
I forget where I left off here. I think I got tired of trying to figure out AI for the enemies so I took a break...

Some kind of motorized vehicle racing type game of some sort engine in the style of some old racing style game with some well known characters.
Based on the engine code from the previous project. I thought it would be simpler to do, but vehicle physics are hard to emulate. And yes, your tracks can contain a path for the opponent vehicles to follow. But it needs work. I got tired of trying to figure physics and AI out and took another break...

My current project is just a standard adventure RPG type thing.
Thus the circle of life is complete. The coins leave sparkles when you pick them up. It's my favorite part. And like all my games, it uses my well known sorting method for making sure objects on screen are drawn from furthest to nearest. (Or top to bottom) Also, the enemies and NPC's (Hayley and Elizabeth shown here) use the LuaStar coroutine algorithm for pathfinding without causing hiccups in the framerate. Also, the screen pans when you move from map to map. I decided on a simpler screen-based map system instead of scrolling map for simplicity's sake. It means less to figure out. Less to draw every frame. Less to calculate what is and isn't in view. More like classic games of yore.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:The last three projects I've screwed around with are as follows. Please hold all questions until the end of the tour.
All three projects seem quite good. I was wondering about wolf project haven't more news for a while. Get someone to work with you in AI then.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Nikolai Resokav wrote:Progress update on my GUI library:

Nice GUI. Is it oss?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Something i'm working on: Dungeonspace.

4 Player Multiplayer Test. More Infos soon.
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Jasoco wrote:
Some kind of motorized vehicle racing type game of some sort engine in the style of some old racing style game with some well known characters.
Based on the engine code from the previous project. I thought it would be simpler to do, but vehicle physics are hard to emulate. And yes, your tracks can contain a path for the opponent vehicles to follow. But it needs work. I got tired of trying to figure physics and AI out and took another break...
Awesome.
A mario kart remake for pc.
Someone should finish such a project. I would be a potential customer :)
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Larsii30 wrote:Awesome.
A mario kart remake for pc.
Someone should finish such a project. I would be a potential customer :)
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

@nevon:

Thanks, I know the game :)
But the orginal super mario kart (SNES) was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
I also don't like the new mario kart games. Super Mario Kart is the only true Mario Kart.!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

So glad there's people interested in my LöveKart and WolfenLöve engines (Names not final). But right now I'm taking a break from them so I can refresh myself and jump back in.

The Kart game really just needs better opponent AI. i.e. allow them to avoid each other by moving left or right to pass while still remaining on the correct path, and better collision and kart physics. Mainly sliding when turning sharp. i.e, your kart is aiming and turning one direction but momentum and the ground type you are on determines how much you slide.

And Wolf could use some smarter enemy AI. Which I could probably do myself if I sat down and concentrated. Also some bugs with the doors displaying. And ceiling texture like the floor. Other stuff like that.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Jasoco wrote:So glad there's people interested in my LöveKart and WolfenLöve engines (Names not final). But right now I'm taking a break from them so I can refresh myself and jump back in.

The Kart game really just needs better opponent AI. i.e. allow them to avoid each other by moving left or right to pass while still remaining on the correct path, and better collision and kart physics. Mainly sliding when turning sharp. i.e, your kart is aiming and turning one direction but momentum and the ground type you are on determines how much you slide.
Maybe you can do a community project out of LöveKart, so that people can help you to fix bugs and create karts&tracks!?