What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
IndieKid
Citizen

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by IndieKid »

Ubermann wrote:Sadly, the gothic font doesn't have Japanese, Russian and Danish characters.
If you know any löveable font for those languages, you may send it so I can include in the game.
Gothic font for Russian language
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

Sadly, the gothic font doesn't have Japanese, Russian and Danish characters.
If you know any löveable font for those languages, you may send it so I can include in the game.
May I suggest you forgo the font for that small, game-important text? I can read the Russian screenshot far easier than the English, and I don't even understand Russian! The drop-shadow on the writing is also something to look at again I feel.

On the other hand, you could keep the font, but make it less overt or increase the spacing between letters and lines?
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

I like the frames around the individual parts of your interface. Did you draw them ourself?
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

IndieKid wrote:
Ubermann wrote:Sadly, the gothic font doesn't have Japanese, Russian and Danish characters.
Gothic font for Russian language
Cool. Thanks.
timmeh42 wrote:
Sadly, the gothic font doesn't have Japanese, Russian and Danish characters.
May I suggest you forgo the font for that small, game-important text? I can read the Russian screenshot far easier than the English, and I don't even understand Russian! The drop-shadow on the writing is also something to look at again I feel.

On the other hand, you could keep the font, but make it less overt or increase the spacing between letters and lines?
Yes, that normal gothic font may be a bit hard to read. I will try to find some other more friendly. Or you can give some suggestion.

micha wrote:I like the frames around the individual parts of your interface. Did you draw them ourself?
Thanks.

Yes and No. I did not draw the base images, which I download from http://opengameart.org
But I edited them to fit the game.

[EDIT]

Text log window font output tweaked, showing more space between lines and increasing the font size slightly:

Japanese:
s3pZu.png
s3pZu.png (227.18 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Russian with IndieKid's gothic font (don't know if it is hard to read)
2wvdb.png
2wvdb.png (186.66 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Normal wester language( english, español, deutsch, francaise, etc..)
YX8yD.png
YX8yD.png (187.54 KiB) Viewed 302 times
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

Ubermann wrote:Russian with IndieKid's gothic font (don't know if it is hard to read)
Nope, that's not the best font for gothic. My fail, I din't see that this font doesn't have lowercase letters. I think it will be much better with this one or maybe this. Some more(in case if those will be bad): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

IndieKid wrote: Nope, that's not the best font for gothic. My fail, I din't see that this font doesn't have lowercase letters. I think it will be much better with this one or maybe this. Some more(in case if those will be bad): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Thanks.

I tested all fonts you recommend, and I think the #5 (Cleopatra.ttf) is the best looking one.
If you don't like it, just give me other fonts that you see better. It's not mandatory they look Gothic, but some kind of Lucida Console-ish I think would not fit well.

game screen size = 1000x600
50O1H.png
50O1H.png (159.44 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Let me know if it can is readable enough.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

You should start a seperate thread in demo section.
Ubermann
Party member

Post by Ubermann »

SiENcE wrote:You should start a seperate thread in demo section.
Yes, of course
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Time to add my bit...

Post by Kjell Granlund »

Hello all! I figured it was about time to add my project to what I am working on. the main post is here http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12300 and a few screen shots are there too. I am going for a mixed genre game. RPG and Space Shooter. Space fights will be action and planet side fights (and station) will be turn based. I havent fully decided if I want a grid style like final fantasy tactics or a classic rpg feel like the first few final fantasies. Right now I am working on the equiping menu for ships. Proving to be difficult for a noobie like me. I got the basics of the fight engine down so for now that is one the backburner. I also did the title screen as another module that works (kinda... first .love I made and the code is well BAD) Well I wont make this into a huge post, but would love some feedback if you check it out. For now I will keep reading tutorials and looking at other peoples codes for ideas.

BTW Ubermann who did your border graphics. They look real nice.

** EDIT **

Well I managed to recreate my battle engine with new code. There is a loading screen as it loads all the data. I will include the .love to test it out. Right now the player and enemy do not have hit detection, but I am adding that in along with the stats. This was mostly to test the loading screen and movements. Use 'wasd' or arrow keys to move and 'f' to fire. There is a cool down for weapon use now. No more spamming the fire key. Also havent added the sound back yet. Should be done tonight or tomorrow. The enemy has a slightly more advanced AI system. It has 3 weapons with its primary going off more often. Next to do for the AI is to have the enemy decide movement based off of the players movement. Once I have that with the stats in then I will begin to make the start screen. The basic battle engine is almost done. I have also done more with the inventory system and equip system for new weapons. That is not yet included. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments
zDemo.love
(5.37 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by Kjell Granlund on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

f9oE8Lv.png
f9oE8Lv.png (31.24 KiB) Viewed 301 times
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12412