Slipfeed

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
mike
Administrator

Slipfeed

Post by mike »

So, you may have noticed that I haven't been very active on the forums (or on LÖVE in general) lately. That's because I have been very busy doing EVERYTHING ELSE. I've been trying to get a job (failed), working on my formal edumacation (partly failed that) and being an awesome musician (let's not even talk about that). One of the things I have been dedicating my time to is Slipfeed and now I need your help.

Slipfeed is a page where people create pages for indie games (and other such projects) and where people can go to get updates on these. Indie game pages are mostly places that list some games and then have some text and then you gotta go get your own information. I wanted a page which, like GameSpot or IGN, would be my one-stop-shop for getting info on upcoming or current games, just of the indie variety.

A school project in HTML/CSS felt like the perfect time to make this idea into reality and I have gotten pretty damn far. However, there is one simple thing missing: content. That's where you come in. I need you to fill the page with all forms of projects/ideas/whatever that you can think of, making project pages for everything from realized game projects to simple ideas that you wish to archive/document. Also, in using the page, you will be putting it to the test that I need to put it through before I hand it in to my professors. Any problems/suggestions would be nice to know about. Just post here and I'll read it.

Keep in mind that when the project is complete, testing and tweaking is done, I may find it prudent to purge the server of all information and start a fresh, so don't expect things to be static. You have been warned.

A note on the lack of project downloads: this page is supposed to document a project's development cycle and create "hype" around the project, not be a place for hosting the files associated with it. That's what Sourceforge is for.

TL;DR version:
Slipfeed is a page for indie game projects.
Use it, add stuff, test it, let me know what works and what doesn't. THNX.

PS: The new emoticons are awesome :D
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Slipfeed

Post by qubodup »

Hey, glad you're doing stuff!

1. It would be a great thing be exclusively for LÖVE games. Alternatively it would be a collaborator or competitor of TIGdb then.

2. When I use my http://www.flickr.com/photos/qubodup as login and press on the "yes log me the freak in!" on yahoo.com (Y owns F), I get following page.
O_o.png
O_o.png (25.19 KiB) Viewed 11495 times
2b. ok, that was a second ago, now I get the following instead (at yahoo's place even...)
O_O_o.png
O_O_o.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 11493 times
The URL is

Code: Select all

https://open.login.yahooapis.com/openid/op/auth?openid.ns=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0&openid.mode=checkid_setup&openid.identity=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fqubodup&openid.claimed_id=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fqubodup&openid.assoc_handle=gAnTCKzcnr93nydmTTX76D.z_i9giT028d1.Y0SZ7PqbYPiVqwC.RRM_YxaP4ohmMMkHCQgyRhmUb5kRhbUqnti5XxJoJ04hP1mmHIsCsTqGeZjOvmXbMaC7tKmyd9E-&openid.return_to=http%3A%2F%2Fslipfeed.com%2Fuser%2F%2Flogin&openid.realm=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slipfeed.com%2F&openid.ns.sreg=http%3A%2F%2Fopenid.net%2Fextensions%2Fsreg%2F1.1&openid.sreg.required=nickname%2Cemail
2c. If I use qubodup.blogspot.com, I get to a page that tells me
error:Invalid AuthRequest: 769: Realm verification failed for: http://www.slipfeed.com/
3. The login box makes the impression of a search box in my geeky opinion.

4. Congratz! The site name makes no sense at all, nada! ^^
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

qubodup wrote:1. It would be a great thing be exclusively for LÖVE games. Alternatively it would be a collaborator or competitor of TIGdb then.
As far as I understood, that page relies on the site's admins picking the page.
qubodup wrote:2. <Lots of problems with OpenID>
OpenID pages are bad at asking for information from you. I need the nickname and email from your OpenID identification and most of the time the pages fail to inform you of this. You should be able to live without it now (as I found no way to send identification information from the yahoo id).
qubodup wrote:3. The login box makes the impression of a search box in my geeky opinion.
Noted.
qubodup wrote:4. Congratz! The site name makes no sense at all, nada! ^^
^^
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

qubodup wrote: 4. Congratz! The site name makes no sense at all, nada! ^^
Nor does the logo. Still awesome, I love the smileys, and the design. Good stuff.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:
qubodup wrote:1. It would be a great thing be exclusively for LÖVE games. Alternatively it would be a collaborator or competitor of TIGdb then.
As far as I understood, that page relies on the site's admins picking the page.
It's user contribution-based, but I believe the entries can only be edited by their creators.

This post shows some of TIGdb's functionalities and the thread discusses a collaboration with it.
mike wrote:
qubodup wrote:2. <Lots of problems with OpenID>
OpenID pages are bad at asking for information from you. I need the nickname and email from your OpenID identification and most of the time the pages fail to inform you of this. You should be able to live without it now (as I found no way to send identification information from the yahoo id).
I tried Flickr again, I was logged in as "Anonymous". Same for Blogspot.

Same for Blogspot
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

My OpenID works..

EDIT: Removed something even more useless
Last edited by bartbes on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chman
Prole

Post by Chman »

Nice design and global feeling :)

Although something that bothers me : when browsing images, the "next" button is on the left and the "previous" one on the right, which is... quite unusual to me ^^
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Chman wrote:Nice design and global feeling :)

Although something that bothers me : when browsing images, the "next" button is on the left and the "previous" one on the right, which is... quite unusual to me ^^
Rude made the design. I changed the next/previous links. It made more sense the that way.
qubodup wrote:It's user contribution-based, but I believe the entries can only be edited by their creators.
This post shows some of TIGdb's functionalities and the thread discusses a collaboration with it.
I'll look into it, thanks! I feel that it's more of a database than a news site, but perhaps a collaboration would be in order?
qubodup wrote:I tried Flickr again, I was logged in as "Anonymous". Same for Blogspot.
You should now be able to change your username and email in case it isn't fetched from the OpenID provider.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

mike wrote:Rude made the design.
Disclaimer: the design is not done.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:I'll look into it, thanks! I feel that it's more of a database than a news site, but perhaps a collaboration would be in order?
Yes, it's a database of games and reviews of those. I thought slipfeed was supposed the same :) I see that I'm not that right now.

I hope collaboration makes sense.
mike wrote:You should now be able to change your username and email in case it isn't fetched from the OpenID provider.
It does work now :) before, the name/email fields would be non-editable.

By the way. Will you release the website system under an open source license? Or are you not very interested in any of that? :)

Smileys per paragraph: 3/4