Tetris tutorial?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
hryx
Party member

Re: Tetris tutorial?

Post by hryx »

thecodejunkie wrote:a tetris-like game
thecodejunkie wrote:I don't want anyone to steal my idea
ok
thecodejunkie wrote:I don't want to say what it is
thecodejunkie wrote:Just looking for help where there obviously is none.
ok

...Seriously, though. You'll get more help if you say specifically what you want to do. And if you aren't rude and standoffish to the people from whom you're asking a favor -- I mean I'm in America and I think it's unreasonable behavior.

So, where are you in your game and what do you need help with, specifically?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

It's been 8 hours. People here aren't all in America. Many of them are on the other side of the world. Including some of the creators of Löve. You gave an hour before you bumped complaining about not having help. Not even willing to look at tutorials and try and figure things out yourself. A few months ago we had a bunch of school students storm in here demanding to have a game created for them so they could use it for their school project, which they were supposed to do themselves. We didn't take no shit from them then, and we won't take it now. If you want help, you need to be willing to wait for it. You need to also help yourself. Be nice. And stop giving Americans a bad name.

We'll gladly give help to those who are willing to not be an asshole about it.
You wrote:Meh. Just looking for help where there obviously is none.
Like this.

We have 12-year-olds here who are more polite than you've been. One who even joined today and had a project he had created himself all ready to show off.
thecodejunkie
Prole

Post by thecodejunkie »

hryx wrote:
thecodejunkie wrote:a tetris-like game
thecodejunkie wrote:I don't want anyone to steal my idea
ok
thecodejunkie wrote:I don't want to say what it is
thecodejunkie wrote:Just looking for help where there obviously is none.
ok

...Seriously, though. You'll get more help if you say specifically what you want to do. And if you aren't rude and standoffish to the people from whom you're asking a favor -- I mean I'm in America and I think it's unreasonable behavior.

So, where are you in your game and what do you need help with, specifically?
I'm just trying to make tetris. I can figure out how to make my own modifications from there.
thecodejunkie
Prole

Post by thecodejunkie »

I apologize if I seemed rude earlier, I've been having kind of a crappy day.
thecodejunkie
Prole

Post by thecodejunkie »

Screw it, I don't know enough about this language yet to make something as complicated as Tetris.

Basically, my idea was for a game called Catris (Catchris?) where multiple tetrominoes fall at once and you can move them around with your mouse to place them, and if you don't have anywhere to put one that's falling, you just drag it back up to the top to buy time.

If anyone's interested in working with me on this I've already got the art done.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

This seems to be a nice two-part tutorial. The code is written in ActionScript, but converting it to Lua is relatively straightforward and a good excercise too.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

thecodejunkie wrote:Screw it, I don't know enough about this language yet to make something as complicated as Tetris.

Basically, my idea was for a game called Catris (Catchris?) where multiple tetrominoes fall at once and you can move them around with your mouse to place them, and if you don't have anywhere to put one that's falling, you just drag it back up to the top to buy time.

If anyone's interested in working with me on this I've already got the art done.
How familiar are you with Lua? Maybe you could start small to learn it piece by piece. Create something like Pong first. Or Asteroids. Simple games. I started small too in QBASIC making weird art things before I ever made my first game.
thecodejunkie
Prole

Post by thecodejunkie »

Jasoco wrote:
thecodejunkie wrote:Screw it, I don't know enough about this language yet to make something as complicated as Tetris.

How familiar are you with Lua? Maybe you could start small to learn it piece by piece. Create something like Pong first. Or Asteroids. Simple games. I started small too in QBASIC making weird art things before I ever made my first game.
I've been working with it for a few weeks, but all I've been able to do is make a basic 8 way movement system using tilemaps and collisions, and a platformer that can't ever really be applied to anything because it uses the dumb yfloor thing that everyone uses.

I don't see the point in anyone ever using yfloor, it only allows one platform, so what's the point?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

thecodejunkie wrote:
Jasoco wrote:

I've been working with it for a few weeks, but all I've been able to do is make a basic 8 way movement system using tilemaps and collisions, and a platformer that can't ever really be applied to anything because it uses the dumb yfloor thing that everyone uses.

I don't see the point in anyone ever using yfloor, it only allows one platform, so what's the point?
Woah, woah, woah. I use a tile-collision method for my platformers.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
thecodejunkie
Prole

Post by thecodejunkie »

Davidobot wrote:Woah, woah, woah. I use a tile-collision method for my platformers.
I wish more people thought like you! Almost EVERY platformer tutorial I've found for this language uses yfloor. Dumbest thing to teach ever.