Most frustrating moment?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
raidho36
Party member

Re: Most frustrating moment?

Post by raidho36 »

You will. Working as a game developer tends to be more and more un-creative and boring routine depending on project size (the bigger the worse).
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

raidho36 wrote:You will. Working as a game developer tends to be more and more un-creative and boring routine depending on project size (the bigger the worse).
no thats not true, im having more fun on my bigger projects :3
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Are your projects have Diablo3 scale or similar?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

raidho36 wrote:Are your projects have Diablo3 scale or similar?
no
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Actual life:

My most frustrating moment was when I spent like 4 months trying to learn how to ride a bike. I spent 4 months trying to learn how to do it. Everyday me and my dad would go out to the park and try to get me to. I kept falling over and hitting my arms and legs and it angered me that I was the only person in my class that couldn't do it. Technically I spent 2 years, because it was July & August of '07 and '08. Finally I learned how to do it! But that learning period was tough and I thought I'd never be able to do it! I never use my bike... ever... ever...

Programming life:

I wanted to make something a whole number, so I spent ages relearning Lua again and spending a while trying to figure out how to do it, then I think it was Micha that told me about these little functions:

Code: Select all

math.ceil()
math.floor()
I knew about these functions and knew how they worked, but I didn't think to use them because I forgot about them. It didn't put me off LÖVE, it put me off coding and I started thinking about never coding again. But then I got inspiration and I got told about a few videos from Sheepolution(Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?) about not giving up and I just started again from there. Since then I've gotten majorly discouraged but then got encouraged again. Seeing big projects like Whisper can encourage me or discourage me. If I'm upset, they encourage me. If I'm really motivated, they discourage me. Got a little off topic there... :P

But yeah! My most frustrating moment and how it made me feel :)
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

My frustrating moment is spending lots of time doing trial and error on finding what is the width and height of a string for a non-monospace font before I looked into the Font object section of the wiki...
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:Actual life:

My most frustrating moment was when I spent like 4 months trying to learn how to ride a bike. I spent 4 months trying to learn how to do it. Everyday me and my dad would go out to the park and try to get me to. I kept falling over and hitting my arms and legs and it angered me that I was the only person in my class that couldn't do it. Technically I spent 2 years, because it was July & August of '07 and '08. Finally I learned how to do it! But that learning period was tough and I thought I'd never be able to do it! I never use my bike... ever... ever...

Programming life:

I wanted to make something a whole number, so I spent ages relearning Lua again and spending a while trying to figure out how to do it, then I think it was Micha that told me about these little functions:

Code: Select all

math.ceil()
math.floor()
I knew about these functions and knew how they worked, but I didn't think to use them because I forgot about them. It didn't put me off LÖVE, it put me off coding and I started thinking about never coding again. But then I got inspiration and I got told about a few videos from Sheepolution(Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?) about not giving up and I just started again from there. Since then I've gotten majorly discouraged but then got encouraged again. Seeing big projects like Whisper can encourage me or discourage me. If I'm upset, they encourage me. If I'm really motivated, they discourage me. Got a little off topic there... :P

But yeah! My most frustrating moment and how it made me feel :)
yeah micha is a nice person :3
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Making websites work on Internet Explorer (< 10). I even set up a website out of pure frustration.
When I write def I mean function.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

And you forgot the "h" in your domain name. Hahaha, fail!

Oh wait. Was it "i ate ie"?
<span class="hate">
No, it wasn't. Hahaha, you fail!
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

raidho36 wrote:And you forgot the "h" in your domain name. Hahaha, fail!

Oh wait. Was it "i ate ie"?
<span class="hate">
No, it wasn't. Hahaha, you fail!
:huh: