Getting Fans, and Building Hype.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Getting Fans, and Building Hype.

Post by baconhawka7x »

Just wanted to make this post because I have seen a lack of talk about the marketing/business side of games on these forums.

Obviously right now all of my released games are very sarcastic and low-quality, and I knew that when I was making them, so I didn't really put much effort into making sure the entire world sees it. But to just build fans in general, I created a little alias with my friend, "Sock Munkee Development", and gave it a youtube channel and a website.

So, what do you do, or plan on doing, or have you done to build up hype for your game and gain/keep fans?
shatterblast
Party member

Re: Getting Fans, and Building Hype.

Post by shatterblast »

baconhawka7x wrote:So, what do you do, or plan on doing, or have you done to build up hype for your game and gain/keep fans?
Ubuntu Linux has a Software Center where you can get software either for a price or for free. If you could convince someone to add one of your titles, then that would be one form of publicity. You could just add a tag in your software to donate if they like your software, or something similar.

You might check out this web page if that interests you:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/

It's nothing to go shy about since Ubuntu has about 20 million users. It can't compare to the Mac or Windows of course, but even Dell supplies Ubuntu as an option for its computers.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

For my game with Gustav, we posted it on IndieDB and attracted people that way, also we updates his twitter regularly and I have a nearly finished game which we can use to build up some hype for the company.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

indie DB and youtube videos are good places for gaining hype.

im making this game called 9891(it have singleplayer and multiplayer and its old title was The Nuclear USSR, and david(obot) made alot of the textures plus he made the most basic parts of the multiplayer system) im planning to make videos where i test the multiplayer system with a few freinds, im also gonna find some youtubers who are interested in getting a pre-release so they can make videos of it.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

Agree with everyone saying IndieDB and Youtube, free games are probably the best way to drum up interest in your company though and they are also easy to get released on Desura.

Ofcourse at the later stages of development you can mail RockPaperShotgun or other sites that have shown an interest like Techzwn, but most sites get tons of similar emails all the time and lots don't get read.
Dull but sincere filler.
SheilaBrooks
Prole

Post by SheilaBrooks »

when i first released two of my games i was also facing marketing problems for them, they were not getting much of attention, i decided to build a website and youtube channel for it which my friend who is interested in marketing side advise me, i see lots of people noticing my efforts after that.

Just creating and releasing a game should not do much unless, you are creating some mind blowing video games.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

SheilaBrooks wrote:when i first released two of my games i was also facing marketing problems for them, they were not getting much of attention, i decided to build a website and youtube channel for it which my friend who is interested in marketing side advise me, i see lots of people noticing my efforts after that.

Just creating and releasing a game should not do much unless, you are creating some mind blowing video games.
may i see your website? also welcome to the forum.
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

I never actually did it but creating a thread on http://rpgmaker.net/ can probably be useful to gather attention. It's a very large community and, contrary to what the name implies, it isn't restricted to RPG Maker games or even RPGs.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Daniel Eakins wrote:I never actually did it but creating a thread on http://rpgmaker.net/ can probably be useful to gather attention. It's a very large community and, contrary to what the name implies, it isn't restricted to RPG Maker games or even RPGs.
dafuk, why is it named rpgmaker then??
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Well I assume it WAS focused on RPG Maker games originally, but eventually expanded its scope.