Plans for LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
raburabugaaru
Prole
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Plans for LÖVE

Post by raburabugaaru »

I just discovered LÖVE yesterday (on Valentine's Day :ultraglee:), and I really like it, especially since it uses Lua. I was browsing the forums, and I noticed that while people love LÖVE, they kept talking about how it's not as powerful as it could be (for example, it's slow in some cases). It seems like the program's just young. So, I wondered what was planned for LÖVE in the future. Faster interpreter/parser (whichever of those words work - I'm not a programmer by any means)? An editor? Anything else?

I know this is the engine for me, so I hope this project lasts. Thanks!
User avatar
rude
Administrator
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by rude »

Hello.
  • An editor: not really.
  • Faster interpreter/parser: yes, eventually via LuaJIT.
  • Main features to be released in "near" future: OpenAL-based audio, sprite batching, vertex buffers.
No real high-level stuff for non-programmers, I'm afraid. :death:
User avatar
Kaze
Party member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by Kaze »

I want a LOVE browser plug-in, adobe flash-style.
osuf oboys
Party member
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by osuf oboys »

raburabugaaru wrote:I just discovered LÖVE yesterday (on Valentine's Day :ultraglee:), and I really like it, especially since it uses Lua. I was browsing the forums, and I noticed that while people love LÖVE, they kept talking about how it's not as powerful as it could be (for example, it's slow in some cases). It seems like the program's just young. So, I wondered what was planned for LÖVE in the future. Faster interpreter/parser (whichever of those words work - I'm not a programmer by any means)? An editor? Anything else?

I know this is the engine for me, so I hope this project lasts. Thanks!
What would such an editor entail?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
User avatar
Kaze
Party member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by Kaze »

osuf oboys wrote:
raburabugaaru wrote:I just discovered LÖVE yesterday (on Valentine's Day :ultraglee:), and I really like it, especially since it uses Lua. I was browsing the forums, and I noticed that while people love LÖVE, they kept talking about how it's not as powerful as it could be (for example, it's slow in some cases). It seems like the program's just young. So, I wondered what was planned for LÖVE in the future. Faster interpreter/parser (whichever of those words work - I'm not a programmer by any means)? An editor? Anything else?

I know this is the engine for me, so I hope this project lasts. Thanks!
What would such an editor entail?
Saving directly into love files and the like. Could be done easier with a NP++ plugin.
User avatar
bartbes
Sex machine
Posts: 4946
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by bartbes »

Kaze wrote:Saving directly into love files and the like.
That is possible on linux (at least on Ubuntu), I noticed a few days ago that there's an option in the right-click-menu to mount a .zip/.love as a HDD.
BTW, for windows users I remember that WinRAR also had the option to open files from a .zip and modify them, asking to put the modified file in the .zip after saving. (just like linux file-roller)
User avatar
Kaze
Party member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by Kaze »

bartbes wrote:
Kaze wrote:Saving directly into love files and the like.
That is possible on linux (at least on Ubuntu), I noticed a few days ago that there's an option in the right-click-menu to mount a .zip/.love as a HDD.
BTW, for windows users I remember that WinRAR also had the option to open files from a .zip and modify them, asking to put the modified file in the .zip after saving. (just like linux file-roller)
Would be nice to have the list of files at the side of the editor though, like Code::Blocks and such.
User avatar
rude
Administrator
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by rude »

Kaze wrote:I want a LOVE browser plug-in, adobe flash-style.
Nice of you to volunteer.
raburabugaaru
Prole
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by raburabugaaru »

osuf oboys wrote:
raburabugaaru wrote:I just discovered LÖVE yesterday (on Valentine's Day :ultraglee:), and I really like it, especially since it uses Lua. I was browsing the forums, and I noticed that while people love LÖVE, they kept talking about how it's not as powerful as it could be (for example, it's slow in some cases). It seems like the program's just young. So, I wondered what was planned for LÖVE in the future. Faster interpreter/parser (whichever of those words work - I'm not a programmer by any means)? An editor? Anything else?

I know this is the engine for me, so I hope this project lasts. Thanks!
What would such an editor entail?
Oh, I was just throwing that out there. I personally don't think it needs an editor. ^^
User avatar
Kaze
Party member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by Kaze »

rude wrote:
Kaze wrote:I want a LOVE browser plug-in, adobe flash-style.
Nice of you to volunteer.
I did some googling and gave up shortly afterwards.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests