ETA for löve on LuaJIT?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ido
Prole

ETA for löve on LuaJIT?

Post by ido »

Hi there!

After mocking about on the LuaJIT website and seeing their performace comparison chart (http://luajit.org/luajit_performance.html), I was wondering when(if? I remember it was mentioned somewhere) is löve scheduled to move to LuaJIT?

Are there reasons against it?

Peace out,
-Ido.
rude
Administrator

Re: ETA for löve on LuaJIT?

Post by rude »

ido wrote:scheduled
A non-word in realm of LÖVE.

LuaJIT does seem to improve loop speed greatly, though, so it will be included some day. Doesn't work for x64, though. :cry:
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

We 64-bit users (read: a large percentage of everyone that's bought a computer in the last two years) are pretty much SOL, huh?
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

LuaJIT doesn't support x64? The most popular platform in the past BigNum years??

What are *they* smoking?
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Mike Pall (LuaJIT creator @ LuaJIT 2.0) wrote: On the positive side, the new VM should be easier to port to
other CPU architectures. But there's more to consider, like a
different number type (on platforms without hardware FP) or
different pointer sizes (x64). This will certainly complicate
things. In any case, a port is not something I want to embark on
before the x86 version is stable.
Source.

Not a priority either.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

Xcmd wrote:We 64-bit users (read: a large percentage of everyone that's bought a computer in the last two years) are pretty much SOL, huh?
sounds like it (and its not just windows users), which is a pretty big lacking in their part considering 64 bit hardware has been mainstream for a while now, and 64 bit os's are almost in control
Star Crunch
Prole

Post by Star Crunch »

The "they" is just one guy, the Mike Pall that rude quoted above. It sounds like he's got his hands full with this beast:

http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2008-02/msg00051.html

(Which should be all kinds of awesome.)

However, the 5.1.4 LuaJIT and DynASM code are available, and he has taken user contributions before... :P
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

What about running it in 32bit mode under a 64bit cpu?

I haven't really noticed 32bit windows running any slower than 64bit windows on my computer (same for ubuntu).

As far as I understand the big difference is not being able to access more than 4gb of memory, which is not that urgent of an issue.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

We tried to use LuaJit for our Iris2 project. We have very heavy implementations in lua (~560kb of lua source).
We realised no real performance improvement but we realised a memory problem with LuaJit. The memory rises unnormally.
After we switched back to Lua 5.13 the memory problems are gone.

So if someone want to switch to LuaJit, he should carefully check, if the behavior of LuaJit.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

ido wrote:What about running it in 32bit mode under a 64bit cpu?

I haven't really noticed 32bit windows running any slower than 64bit windows on my computer (same for ubuntu).

As far as I understand the big difference is not being able to access more than 4gb of memory, which is not that urgent of an issue.
32-bit mode is imperfect and extremely difficult to pull off right in Linux. On Windows it's not as big a deal, but it's still annoying.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!