Forum etiquette

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
vrld
Party member

Forum etiquette

Post by vrld »

To ensure a healthy atmosphere within these forums, we - the inner party members - decided upon ten (not nine, not eleven, ten) guidelines. These guidelines put into words what was previously only implicitly understood. They are not to be understood as strict rules, but rather as a tool to achieve greatness.

Lo and behold, these shall be your ten commandments:
  1. Be nice to others. This forum is a friendly place and bullying will not be accepted.
  2. Be patient. Nobody is born a master. If someone does not understand your post, try to rephrase it. Ask which part of your post causes the trouble.
  3. Avoid derailing threads. It's ok to have fun here and there, but burying the original post under unrelated banter is not.
  4. Take your time when posting. Answering your question will be a lot easier when you asked it clearly. Your answer will be better understood when you flesh out the details. Read what you have written before hitting the submit button. Use the preview button to see how your post will look.
  5. Viewers discretion is advised. Because this is a technically mature community, we don't have to take childrens' well-being into account. However, we won't bully (see point 1) nor ban people because of their age.
  6. Writers discretion is advised. While this is technically a mature community, there is no guarantee everybody here is an adult. Your posts don't have to be "child-safe", but please always keep this point in mind*.
  7. Avoid double (triple, quadruple) posting. If you forgot to include something in your post, use the edit button. It is ok to double post to bump an old thread, but only after an appropriate amount of time.
  8. No full-quotes of long posts. Especially if your post consists of only a few words (see also 3). Ideally you should only quote the passages relevant to your answer.
  9. Use the [code​] tag when posting code; it's just so much easier on the eyes. Also pay attention to code formatting and try to reduce the posted code to an absolute minimum. Use the preview button to see if your code is readable and adjust it if it isn't.
  10. Violations of this etiquette (esp. points 1-3) will result in warnings. Warnings will lead to bans, but: These are guidelines, not the law. Moderators always have the last word.
* what is acceptable varies from culture to culture. Just act with your own good judgement.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
raidho36
Party member

Re: Forum etiquette

Post by raidho36 »

And there wasn't any IRC talk about this. That's suspicious.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

I am so happy that they made these rules. :3
I hope everybody, including me, will have no trouble keeping to these "commandments".
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

finally the double post rule are written down!

i like these rules! :D
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

jjmafiae wrote:finally the double post rule are written down!

i like these rules! :D
Davidobot wrote:I am so happy that they made these rules. :3
I hope everybody, including me, will have no trouble keeping to these "commandments".
They aren't rules, they're more like guidelines. But yeah, it's good to have them written down, making them easy to refer to when necessary.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i got tons of board issue warning because i didn't know about double posting :(

but now im happy :ultrahappy:
Last edited by jjmafiae on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

jjmafiae wrote: ...
Please stop breaking number 8...
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
MPQC
Citizen

Post by MPQC »

josefnpat wrote:
jjmafiae wrote: ...
Please stop breaking number 8...
And so the backseat moderation begins.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

MPQC wrote: And so the backseat moderation begins.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. This community has always called its members out, if they were breaking the (then unwritten) rules. Furthermore, josefnpat is capable of sending actual forum warnings, this isn't so much backseat moderation as it is moderation.
MPQC
Citizen

Post by MPQC »

Can't say I knew he was a moderator, my bad then.