What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zorg
Party member

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by zorg »

luarocks wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 am I really don't understand, why do you people use primitive text editors instead of full featured IDE which can show you autocomplete not only from love-classes, but also from your own classes. Can your Notepad++, Gedit or Geany do the same?
No, but here's an interesting fact: I, for one, don't care about such features. :awesome:
I don't feel the necessity to use something that doesn't benefit me, when i can accomplish the same goals with a simple code editor.

You can, of course, feel that for you, a full IDE with all the bells and whistles is necessary; tons of people simply don't. It all comes down to personal preferences. :)

Food for thought though: I'd be really happy to have a "semantic highlight/coloring" feature where i could define certain terms or even lines to be in groups like "logging", "input handling", etc. because i'd utilize that more, and yet, this doesn't exist in any application that i've found and tried... whether it was an IDE or just a "primitive" textcode editor. i can only guess at the reasons why, but most probably this: people apart from me didn't need this feature (yet).

Edit:
raidho36 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pm IDEs are holdover from the times where it was either that or Microsoft Notepad, or worse - Vi. Same as two-panel file managers coming from the times where it was either that or DOS command line.
...but, i like my two-panel file managers :o:
Last edited by zorg on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

IDEs are holdover from the times where it was either that or Microsoft Notepad, or worse - Vi. Same as two-panel file managers coming from the times where it was either that or DOS command line. Modern text editors have all the features you might wish for and they don't suffer from being extremely heavyweight, monolithic and non-customizable like IDEs. Try Microsoft Visual Studio Code text editor.
Afrricyn
Prole

Post by Afrricyn »

Visual Studio Code - Free to use!
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

If I could use Notepad++ without using Wine, then I would be satisfied. But for now, I'm contented with using Linux Mint's Xed.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Scite.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
JuanjoSalvador
Prole

Post by JuanjoSalvador »

Awww... ye olde editor discuss.

I'm using neovim. Fight me.
itch.io profile - When I'm uploading my works and devblogs
GitHub - All my code is here!
Horchata - A set of Lua modules I wrote to make some task easier
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Atom with plugins (love-launcher, lua-autocomplete, autocomplete-love, fonts) on Linux.
basinbaby wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:26 am I use an editor called lite, I found it on github earlier this week, most of it's written in Lua and it's been really easy to customize.
https://github.com/rxi/lite
Looks pretty much like Atom, but written in lua. No plugins for LOVE yet, but pretty cool non the less.
filkuisk
Prole

Post by filkuisk »

Notepad. The one that comes default with windows.
pericles
Prole

Post by pericles »

MadByte wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 pm Atom with plugins (love-launcher, lua-autocomplete, autocomplete-love, fonts) on Linux.
Was using notepad++
Atom looks really good, will try it out
Thank you very muchh =)

A question tho
Isn't Love-Atom better?
inJuly
Prole

Post by inJuly »

I use VSCode for everything. It's a great tool