What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
milon
Party member

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by milon »

Another Geany user here. I love all things light-weight and straightforward, like Love!
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

ZeroBrain Studio, very nice after setup all shortcuts like in the Notepad++.
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
applebappu
Prole

Post by applebappu »

I actually like to use Vim at home, because I'm crazy and hate myself :p

But if I'm coding for work, I usually use Visual Studio Code. It's just pretty robust and has a decent enough workflow.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

An other ZeroBrane Studio user here. Dedicated Lua IDE with a debugger, console and full support for LOVE out of the box. As a complete beginner I value such easy and complete solution. However I begin to notice performance issues and occasional crashes on macOS when you have lots of code and multiple tabs open. Maybe it is more stable on Windows and Linux.

Before ZeroBrane I've been using Atom + love-ide package, the only setup needed is to tell the package after install where is the LOVE executable on my computer and after that you can run your project directly from Atom which I also valued as a beginner. However it does not offer full support for Lua and LOVE, many of the commands missing and no debugger and console but it is an easy, light-weight solution that I would have sticked with if ZeroBrane wasn't there.
ThatCodingGuy78
Prole

Post by ThatCodingGuy78 »

I use VIsual Studio Code with a ton of Lua/LOVE extensions
"There is no such thing as a mistake, only happy accidents"
rincewind
Prole

Post by rincewind »

mcedit :D
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Hmm, as my project grow in size, for some reason ZeroBrane did slow down on me so much it can't keep up with me as I type. I decided to return to Atom, I like this the best for everyday coding it is got some nice Lua and Love plugins. I might keep ZeroBrane for debugging though.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

After it was announced Atom Editor is discontinued, I decided to try VS Code. I am not so happy about the code suggestions, it is something I always disliked about VS Code. I have no idea where is it getting this crazy suggestions like "package.preloadebug.setfenv.string.byte". It literally doesn't care if the code is valid or not, the moment you type something it is suggest everything containing that letter. But I guess for now it is the best cross-platform option among code editors.

I wish ZeroBrane was faster but literally the IDE crash and freeze when I try to open a larger project with multiple tabs. Would be a really nice IDE otherwise.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

ddabrahim wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:59 pm After it was announced Atom Editor is discontinued, I decided to try VS Code. I am not so happy about the code suggestions, it is something I always disliked about VS Code. I have no idea where is it getting this crazy suggestions like "package.preloadebug.setfenv.string.byte". It literally doesn't care if the code is valid or not, the moment you type something it is suggest everything containing that letter. But I guess for now it is the best cross-platform option among code editors.
Well, if i understand correctly, VS doesn't have any love and lua support(at least good one) out of box, so you need install extensions.
For lua in general:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... umneko.lua
For love:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/it ... -made-easy
With this i don't get anything that you describe as "package.preloadebug.setfenv.string.byte", works fine, so maybe try this extensions(if you still don't)?
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

GVovkiv wrote:With this i don't get anything that you describe as "package.preloadebug.setfenv.string.byte"
Thank you for the recommendations. Indeed, it seems the Lua extension I was using from keyring did cause this. The one you recommended is really good and I don't have this problem with it. Nice.