LÖVE 0.9.0 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: LÖVE 0.9.0 released

Post by jjmafiae »

Instructions would be nice, links to the wiki/forum.
Tomis
Prole

Post by Tomis »

The switch to LuaJIT gave me a small bit of trouble, in the sense that my code using variable number of arguments ( the three dots - ... ) stopped working because I was using the "arg" table to access parameters, which seems to be deprecated in Lua 5.1 and replaced by { ... }, but still used in compatibility mode in the standard Lua interpreter; I was not aware of this syntax, but it's good to know. LuaJIT doesn't use compatibility mode, but funny enough "arg" is now a global table storing the program parameters (I don't know if this is LuaJIT or Love), an ambiguity which puzzled me quite a bit until I found out what was happening.

Maybe you could add a note to the first post where you mention Love 0.9 switched to LuaJIT saying that the variable number of parameters might stop working (depending on whether you use it correctly or not) and that the arg table now means something else, so that others don't have to waste time like I did.

Thanks for the release.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Tomis wrote:I was using the "arg" table to access parameters, which seems to be deprecated in Lua 5.1 and replaced by { ... }
It's too bad the official online version of the Programming in Lua book is so outdated, I think that's the primary source of people using 'arg' in that manner even though Lua 5.1 has been out since 2006...
Tomis wrote:but funny enough "arg" is now a global table storing the program parameters (I don't know if this is LuaJIT or Love), an ambiguity which puzzled me quite a bit until I found out what was happening.
This is what the Lua and LuaJIT standalone interpreters do, and it's also what LÖVE has done since at least as long as I've been using it. :)
Tomis
Prole

Post by Tomis »

0.9 also broke Cupid but nobody seems to have noticed. When starting Love you briefly get a message saying "boot.lua:322: attempt to index field 'window' (a nil value); it seems Cupid is doing something that Love doesn't like afterwards, but I couldn't quite find the cause. I also sent a message to the author but I don't know if he's keeping track of that Bitbucket account. Any suggestions for a quick fix would be appreciated.
pib
Prole

Post by pib »

Tomis wrote:0.9 also broke Cupid but nobody seems to have noticed. When starting Love you briefly get a message saying "boot.lua:322: attempt to index field 'window' (a nil value); it seems Cupid is doing something that Love doesn't like afterwards, but I couldn't quite find the cause. I also sent a message to the author but I don't know if he's keeping track of that Bitbucket account. Any suggestions for a quick fix would be appreciated.
I noticed when I tried to use it today!

I've got a partially-fixed version here: https://gist.github.com/pib/8613284

Not everything is quite working yet. There were lots of little API changes in 0.9.0.

It seems that the "window" issue was something caused by the change in how the love table is created in boot.lua. My solution was to overwrite the individual functions which cupid overwrites directly on the love table. I also had to change the text handling for the console.
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

This should be call the PSY version! Nice work and congratulations.
Tomis
Prole

Post by Tomis »

Thanks pib, it works.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

How did I not find out about this? I should've kept tabs on things more. :P

Congrats on getting it out guys. I've got some catching up to do.