ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.90 is out

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.90 is out

Post by paulclinger »

For those of you using ZeroBrane Studio, the v0.90 is out: http://studio.zerobrane.com/. This version added a function outline, scope-aware auto-complete for local and global variables, hiding/showing files by type in the project/filetree, and a host of other improvements, including addition of "Run" and "Run as Scratchpad" buttons to the toolbar as was suggested in Love2d forums. It also includes Lua 5.3 (beta) binaries and debugging support for those who are interested to run the next version of Lua.

The previous version (0.80) also added the frequently requested ability to expand values in the watch window; the values in the watch window can also be edited directly and will be updated in your application (which saves retyping their references in the local console).

As before, thank you for your support and feedback! Give this new version a try and share how it works for you. Paul.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Re: ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.90 is out

Post by Zilarrezko »

Sweet Jesus! :awesome:

Any compatibility issue's we should know about as far as plug-ins and the like?

EDIT:
Everything seems to look fine with packages wise and the like (I just couldn't wait for the awesomeness, I had to have it)
Taz
Prole

Post by Taz »

Your IDE looks pretty nice so far keep it up :).

But the "mobdebug" plugin don't want to start in my project. Everytime I include this code:

Code: Select all

function love.load(arg)  
  if (arg and arg[#arg] == '-debug') then 
    local debug = require 'mobdebug'
    debug.start()
  end
end
I get a blank white screen in the löve window that never goes away. What i'm doing wrong?
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Taz wrote:Your IDE looks pretty nice so far keep it up :).

But the "mobdebug" plugin don't want to start in my project. Everytime I include this code: ... I get a blank white screen in the löve window that never goes away. What i'm doing wrong?
I don't see anything wrong and a similar fragment works for me in love2d 0.9.0 and 0.9.1. What version of love2d are you using and what OS? Do you see the green arrow in the IDE after "debug.start()"? The screen may be blank because the application is suspended in the debugger and can't redraw its screen.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Zilarrezko wrote:Sweet Jesus! :awesome:

Any compatibility issue's we should know about as far as plug-ins and the like?
I tried to preserve the compatibility, but there have been several API changes that may break some of the plugins. For example, the old version of real-time watches plugin won't work with the new watches as they use a different component. In all those cases I provided an updated version of a plugin, so if something doesn't work after the upgrade, you may want to check if there is a newer version of the plugins you are using.

> Everything seems to look fine with packages wise and the like (I just couldn't wait for the awesomeness, I had to have it)

Good; thank you for the update!
Taz
Prole

Post by Taz »

paulclinger wrote:
Taz wrote:Your IDE looks pretty nice so far keep it up :).

But the "mobdebug" plugin don't want to start in my project. Everytime I include this code: ... I get a blank white screen in the löve window that never goes away. What i'm doing wrong?
I don't see anything wrong and a similar fragment works for me in love2d 0.9.0 and 0.9.1. What version of love2d are you using and what OS? Do you see the green arrow in the IDE after "debug.start()"? The screen may be blank because the application is suspended in the debugger and can't redraw its screen.
I use love2d 0.9.1 with windows 7 and the green arrow appears in the IDE after the "debug.start()" function when I Press F5. When I'm running my project as a scratchpad it starts, but when I change a value in one of my classes it doesn't get applied to the objects of that class. Does it only works with changes inside the "main.lua"?

Edit: OK my Game didn't run because it was in the debug mode and a breakpoint was set :death:, but the scratchpad thing remains.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Taz wrote:I use love2d 0.9.1 with windows 7 and the green arrow appears in the IDE after the "debug.start()" function when I Press F5. When I'm running my project as a scratchpad it starts, but when I change a value in one of my classes it doesn't get applied to the objects of that class. Does it only works with changes inside the "main.lua"?

Edit: OK my Game didn't run because it was in the debug mode and a breakpoint was set :death:, but the scratchpad thing remains.
The scratchpad is a bit tricky in two aspects: (1) if you have any upvalues, they won't be re-populated, so you better use global values and (2) only the current window is enabled for scratchpad when you start your application. If you need changes in any other editor tab to be reloaded, you need to add the tab by doing "right click | Add to Scratchpad". The item won't be available if the current tab is already added, so it gives you an easy way to check its status.
Taz
Prole

Post by Taz »

paulclinger wrote:
Taz wrote:I use love2d 0.9.1 with windows 7 and the green arrow appears in the IDE after the "debug.start()" function when I Press F5. When I'm running my project as a scratchpad it starts, but when I change a value in one of my classes it doesn't get applied to the objects of that class. Does it only works with changes inside the "main.lua"?

The scratchpad is a bit tricky in two aspects: (1) if you have any upvalues, they won't be re-populated, so you better use global values and (2) only the current window is enabled for scratchpad when you start your application. If you need changes in any other editor tab to be reloaded, you need to add the tab by doing "right click | Add to Scratchpad". The item won't be available if the current tab is already added, so it gives you an easy way to check its status.
Thanks it works when I use global variables.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

Does anyone know how to change the color of specific words? something like NOTE in a comment be like purple or something.

I've read through the documentation, and there doesn't seem to be an example of that case in styles.lua in the source code or tomorrow.lua.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Zilarrezko wrote:Does anyone know how to change the color of specific words? something like NOTE in a comment be like purple or something.
There is simple markdown-like formatting that is supported in comments (with a couple of extensions). One of the extensions may work for you. If you put "-- |NOTE|" there, then NOTE will be made bold and purple. You can configure the color and attributes of this font, but you do need to use || (pipes) around the text to highlight it. To change the color, you may add something like this to the config: styles['|'].fg = {255, 0, 0} (this will make it red).

It may also be possible to change the color of specific words in comments without adding anything to them, but it's going to be more work (and the list of words would still need to be specified somewhere). You can look at markup.lua to see how this is done for the existing formatting/styling in comments and try to expand it to apply some new style to a list of words. It's doable, but it is not trivial. Paul.