Book Club

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
nice
Party member

Book Club

Post by nice »

Hello boys and girls!

I have decided to make this thread into a actual book club!
The idea of this book club is were we the users recommend books to each other that benefits us as a programmer, designer and as a artist.

Some guidelines
- One book at a time
- READ through the book
- Please write a couple of lines what you think about said book
- It would be great if the book benefits the usage of Löve2D
- Also provide a link to the book

The guidelines aren't mandatory to follow but it would be nice if you could follow some of them.
If there's something you don't like about this or you want something added/deleted let me know.
Last edited by nice on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:awesome: Have a good day! :ultraglee:
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Question about a book and löve2d book club?

Post by Davidobot »

I can start!
I recommend the book Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship.
http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Code-Handbo ... 0132350882
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

Davidobot wrote:I can start!
I'm happy that you like the idea but why is that book good?
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

because it helps you have clean code, hence you can make modifications easier and the likes
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

Doctory wrote:because it helps you have clean code, hence you can make modifications easier and the likes
It's just that I would like to see a line or two about why a certain books is good but that it's up to anyone if they want to write something or not.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

nice wrote:
I'm happy that you like the idea but why is that book good?
It really helped me clean up my code to look a lot neater and it makes maintenance a breeze! You can see a video about clean code here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUNr4AeLZM
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

Davidobot wrote: It really helped me clean up my code to look a lot neater and it makes maintenance a breeze! You can see a video about clean code here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUNr4AeLZM
Oh sweet!
Foxcraft
Prole

Post by Foxcraft »

Hello nice,
nice wrote:Today I was Checking around for books that could help me out with my game dev experience and I found this book:
http://www.amazon.com/L%C3%96VE-Program ... B00FF8OJYK
Does anyone have experience with this book?
I have that book. I really liked that it introduces you to using libraries from the community to make life easier, as well as teaching you a variety of different things as you put together the one project you make going through the book.

But I have to say that it's kind of outdated, being based on version 0.8.0, and it is a bit sloppy at parts. I started working with it in 0.8.0, just to see how it worked out, and there were some problems. The downloadable final version of the project doesn't quite work like it's supposed to either.

You can definitely learn something from it, but it might take more work than you would like, especially if you try to apply it to 0.9.1. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, unless they wanted some ideas on how to go about writing a tutorial for LÖVE. Because what it tries to do is some good stuff.

I do think it highlights that, although there are a lot of resources for learning LÖVE, there really aren't many tutorials that try to walk you through different features and resources along the way with the one or a group of projects. Not saying what's available is bad, because it's awesome, but something more along those lines would be nice to have. (So anyone interested in making tutorials, there's some ideas there. ;) )
nice wrote:Secondly I have wondered for some time now that this community might benefit with a "book club" of sorts.
I would really like it to be a thing were we, the community members could every now and then would recommend game dev/programming related books/articles to each other and why we should read it.
But the reason I'm unsure about the whole thing is that the thread/group would die out over time or it wouldn't get any interest.
What do you think?
I think it's a helpful idea, especially with regards to books that can be applied more directly to using LÖVE. Cleaning code is definitely one of those things, but also books that work out specific things in Lua might be pretty directly useful. There's a Lua AI book I bought that I haven't really looked in yet. I'll have to take a peek at it soon, now that I've remembered it.

Even just a thread where people just post useful books and talk about them would be helpful, doesn't have to follow a timely book club format.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Chapter two in that book is worth the price of the book already. It talks about how to pick good names for things. I think everyone who writes software should read that chapter. So consider this my endorsement.
When I write def I mean function.
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

Foxcraft wrote: I think it's a helpful idea, especially with regards to books that can be applied more directly to using LÖVE. Cleaning code is definitely one of those things, but also books that work out specific things in Lua might be pretty directly useful. There's a Lua AI book I bought that I haven't really looked in yet. I'll have to take a peek at it soon, now that I've remembered it.

Even just a thread where people just post useful books and talk about them would be helpful, doesn't have to follow a timely book club format.
I'm glad that you liked the idea and if there's someone else that likes the idea I will make some "guidelines" that users could follow if needed.