Questions about platform game development

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Questions about platform game development

Post by tentus »

Physics is simply more than you need. A platformer is (most of the time) very unrealistic in how it actually works under the hood: double-jumping, for example, makes no real-world sense.

An example of a problem I ran into trying to use love.physics in my platformer was implementing water. There are no liquids in Box2D, so you have to create a sensor and then figure out how to make an upward thrust tht feels right, but also doesn't mess the player up when they try to exit the water (easier said than done, btw). Another example is moving platforms. When a player steps on them they go off-course, unless you add in extra code to force them to stay on course. Stuff like that make love.physics largely inappropriate for platformers (not impossible by any means, but troublesome).

It doesn't help that the physics module is poorly documented on the wiki, and there is going to be a massive change in the physics in Love 0.8.0, which is as-yet undocumented.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
molul
Party member

Re: Questions about platform game development

Post by molul »

Thanks for the feedback :) I've finally decided to develop my own physics engine and use HardOnCollider for collisions. I feel more comfortable with that, and I would have only changed my mind if you all had told me I was crazy not to use love.physics (lol).