Love2d with some basic 3d functions??

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Murii
Party member

Love2d with some basic 3d functions??

Post by Murii »

Hello,since love2d uses SDL and OpenGL I think some basic functions for 3d would be nice to have because lots of people love 2d but everyone loves 3d.If this is not something that the main devs want to make then can you give me some little tips on where to look into the source code to try implementing my own solution? Thanks!
Muris
Party member

Re: Love2d with some basic 3d functions??

Post by Muris »

I guess its more of my personal opinion but love2d is called love2d for a reason. Then again cocos2dx can render 3d aswell, and you can use lua on it. That being said, I think I remember seeing in the past in the projects some 3d attempts, like oysi3d, but that might be just having a 3d working on top of love. Also I faintly recall seeing a project where someone actually recompiled most of love2d to actually have truly hardware accelerated 3d with model loaders and such with löve.

What I personally love about love2d is the fact that it is focused on 2d, and it works. I haven't really ran into problem with love2d where something just didnt work and thats the beauty of love2d.

Honestly if I were to truly look for 3d, I personally would look other game engines like: Cocos2dx, Urho3D, Polycode, Maratis, Gameplay3D or Leadworks. If you do not care about the lua part, then Godot is quite interesting project or just going unity3d.

Anyways opinions are opinions, everyone has one and so on.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is such thing as meshes in löve2d, which you can create some 3d objects? I am not sure, since I have not really put any time on figuring out, but from what I understand, they do have x,y and z -coordinate.
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

"project where someone actually recompiled most of love2d to actually have truly hardware accelerated 3d with model loaders and such with löve." Where?
Muris
Party member

Post by Muris »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78943&hilit=love3d

I haven't really taken a look at it, but just remembered seeing a project like this in the project page some time ago.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

love2d is the domain, the engine is called LÖVE!

3D is not in the scope of LÖVE anyway but that topic up there might help getting started, or you could do pseudo 3D, like raycasting or mode 7 (search for those term in this forums and you will find lots of info)
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Muris wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78943&hilit=love3d

I haven't really taken a look at it, but just remembered seeing a project like this in the project page some time ago.
Hello! As one of the LOVE3D devs, I'd like to mention a few things. First off, the code we compiled is actually going to be part of LOVE 0.10, so once 0.10 hits we will be using the vanilla build of LOVE, not our custom build.

All of our 3Dness is currently done with our custom math library written in pure Lua and hasn't been compiled into a neat API yet, though it is still quite usable. We've completely rewritten our posted demo and once we make it look a bit nicer we plan to release a new one, but the core love3d/math code is still basically the same (though it has a few fixes both in functionality and api normity).

You can check out more about LOVE3D at https://github.com/excessive
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Karai17 wrote:

Hello! As one of the LOVE3D devs, I'd like to mention a few things. First off, the code we compiled is actually going to be part of LOVE 0.10, so once 0.10 hits we will be using the vanilla build of LOVE, not our custom build.

All of our 3Dness is currently done with our custom math library written in pure Lua and hasn't been compiled into a neat API yet, though it is still quite usable. We've completely rewritten our posted demo and once we make it look a bit nicer we plan to release a new one, but the core love3d/math code is still basically the same (though it has a few fixes both in functionality and api normity).

When I try to run your tank game from github I get this error : generator.lua:191: Invalid number of vertices.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Karai17 wrote:

Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to trying it out when it is done :D
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Murii wrote:
Karai17 wrote:

When I try to run your tank game from github I get this error : generator.lua:191: Invalid number of vertices.
Not sure why you're getting an error, but you should use the love-und-panzer git repo instead, it is the most up to date code and should be in working order.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé