Any Good Vim Suggestions?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
davisdude
Party member

Any Good Vim Suggestions?

Post by davisdude »

I just started using Vim, and I like it so far. It does take some getting used to, but I like it so far.
Does anyone have any suggestions about plugins that they have to have? (I already use NERDTree, so don't suggest that one)
What about color schemes or plugins for Lua/LÖVE?

Thanks! :)

Edit: I've managed that makes a utility to launch the project you're using for Windows users. I know linux has :!love ., but that didn't work for me, so I made this.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
adrix89
Party member

Re: Any Good Vim Suggestions?

Post by adrix89 »

Have you tried Emacs with Evil?

Vim is a good coding paradigm but as a program I don't think its that special. Emacs is crammed full of features for anything.

I'm using sublime with Vintage and some custom plugins and bindings.

A couple of things I modified is Shift+j,k to move by whitespace. shift+h,l to move by WORDS.
You should still use the w,e,b because you can't mental map it that easily to h,l.

Ctrl+o to exit insert mode, although I believe vim has ctrl+[ for that? I don't know, I don't like vintage ctrl binds.
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Thanks! I'll have to take a look at that Emacs with Evil... Just when I got (kind of) used to Vim, too! :ultraglee:
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

The usual approach with vim is just using a color scheme, and configuring your .vimrc.
Plenty of features can be implemented with a custom .vimrc, although they are often not platform independent.
So I'd just start looking around for nice .vimrc examples and documentation, and customize it so your vim will be just the way you want it. :)
(Make sure to look for Windows specific stuff)
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Thanks. I've been having a lot of trouble with the "linux-centric"-ness of vim, but have pretty much everything I want so far, including a key-map to launch the current project, which was a good learning experience.
Do you have any color schemes you could recommend? (Preferably dark)
All of the ones that I've tried have just looked so ugly with Lua.
williamwindley676
Prole

Post by williamwindley676 »

Great suggestions here. I've tried vim but a lot of these I haven't. Going to give them a go.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

davisdude wrote:Thanks. I've been having a lot of trouble with the "linux-centric"-ness of vim, but have pretty much everything I want so far, including a key-map to launch the current project, which was a good learning experience.
Do you have any color schemes you could recommend? (Preferably dark)
All of the ones that I've tried have just looked so ugly with Lua.
Did you try the popular ones? base16, monokai, solarized etc.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end