No Motivation...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
fleshwhiskey
Prole

No Motivation...

Post by fleshwhiskey »

Anyone got some ideas to help boost my motivation? :brows:

I keep on STARTING god damn projects, and I want TO FINISH SOME. I have about a half dozen games that are just title screens scattered on my desktop... and every time I look at my desktop, it just makes me feel like i'll never be able to finish them.
hello!
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: No Motivation...

Post by Nixola »

I've got a dozen projects that are a working game prototype but lack title screens and menus! Wanna team up? ^^
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
fleshwhiskey
Prole

Post by fleshwhiskey »

Nixola wrote:I've got a dozen projects that are a working game prototype but lack title screens and menus! Wanna team up? ^^
Lol, that would be fun! I wonder if there's a job title of "Title Screen Programmer"... I could make some easy cash!
Then again, If I did team up with you, I wouldn't have the motivation to finish the title screens! :P
hello!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Then both our jobs will be to make a FULL game! We'd be the perfect team!
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
fleshwhiskey
Prole

Post by fleshwhiskey »

Nixola wrote:Then both our jobs will be to make a FULL game! We'd be the perfect team!

I suck at Lua (and code in general) though! I guess it could be fun to try...
hello!
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

You two should go for it! Working with others is a good anchor to keep yourself working on a project. I also highly recommend participating in the One Game a Month jam.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

You might find some solace in knowing that others have been in the same place as you were.

They even have a name for it: The idea fairy.

Source: http://www.themeatly.com/comics/
When I write def I mean function.
CoffeeCoder
Prole

Post by CoffeeCoder »

kikito wrote:You might find some solace in knowing that others have been in the same place as you were.

They even have a name for it: The idea fairy.
Yes yes yes this is the SOLE reason why I have never finished ANY of my projects. It's such a pain. :P

It's especially bad when you're trying to work on ideas for your game and suddenly a new idea for a new game pops in your head. I frequently experience this and I usually write down all ideas somewhere. I've probably got a notebook full of 50+ ideas just sitting in my desk drawer somewhere.
- CoffeeCoder
Visit my site to learn more about me! :megagrin:
TheOdyssey
Citizen

No Motivation?

Post by TheOdyssey »

I actually had a problem a bit like this a while ago... and I'll tell you now that my favorite way to work is believe the game will suck and be buggy and starting any new project would yield the same results. So, as a result: if what you make is half-decent you'll start to believe in that game. (Pessimistic? Optimistic? Or a bit of both?)

But, I don't know. That's just me
EDIT: I'm also really interested to see where this "No title screen games" and "only title screen games" mashup thing goes
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

Gosh that idea fairy is cruel.. Yep been there. Sometimes still am. What helps is to make a list of features you want to add, and stick to it. If you know what you want in the end, you won't waste time ooh-ing and aah-ing in between code. Also apparently it is as useful to make a not-todo list. Things you will *not* be coding. Same principal, different angle. Easier said than done.